Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Curious about the 241 t-case versions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't know if I will ever use a 241, but trying to increase my knowledge base here.

I have heard that there are two different versions of the 241 (a 241 and 241HD), but I have also heard the Elvis is still living pumping gas at the local Citgo station, so I'm just wondering if it's true (the t-case story not the Elvis one /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif ).

If there are two versions (and Elvis is still alive), what are the differences, or is Elvis really dead?

Sorry, I'm in one of those moods today (it's Friday)! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

P.S. TIA

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I thought the 231 was the one available in two versions. The lighter duty one for the Jeeps and S-10s and the HD version for Dodge 1/2 tons...

The only difference in 241's that I'm aware of was gear pitch in the planetary assembly. The later models had a different gear pitch to minimize whine...
    The other diference was drivers side drop versus passenger side drop depending on application.

Rene

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Rene, is the difference in gear cuts a different angle (but still an angle) or is it straight cut vs. angled cut (if you know). I can't remember which is which but I thought one way was stronger but louder and the other was quieter but not as strong. I would assume maybe that's how they came up with the HD portion. Again I don't know, just trying to satisfy curiosity.

Thanks.

4. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Straight cut gears are called HELICAL
    Angle cut gears are called hypoid.

Helical is MUCH stronger
    Mike

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have a friend with a 01 Dodge CTD 2500HD that has a 241HD in it. His HD version has a PTO port on it and the front half of the case (that has the PTO port) is made of magnesium(sp) but the back half is regular aluminum. I don't remember if it has a bolt on rear yoke or slip yoke.

6. BrightBlazer

BrightBlazer Registered Member

So just how strong is a 241. I am going to build my truck on a budget and not overbuild with components I dont need. Wheeling is limited around here.-SW MI. Some mud some sand and the Badlands in Attica IN will be my offroading areas. I was thinking a 241 with a slip yoke eliminator would serve me well. I dont want to spend to have the 700 taken apart for the tailshaft change for a 205. The trans was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago. Plus I like the lowere gearing over the 205.......But will it stay together?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Good info John. My limited 241 knowledge is based on Chev applications only. I have a 241 from an IFS rig...got the planetary sitting next to me on the computer desk/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

The 6 spur gears look to be helical...the case is out of a 90 or 91 IFS Chev 1/2 ton.

Rene

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

First off there are Spur Gears or Straight Cut gears and then there is Helical Gears. Helical gears are angled like most transmissions use. Helical gears are used because they are quieter running then a straight cut gear but a straight cut gear is stronger. The 241 did change the angle of the 241 planetaries in the 90's sometime. Next thing there is a HD241 that does have the PTO and it uses a larger output shaft. It is like 1.625" diameter where the stock one is 1.375". I believe that they are pretty strong and close in strength to a 203.
    BTW the Hypoid gear is also called a ring gear.