Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Curious about trans cooler mounting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Hi all, I mounted my transmission (B&M) cooler in front of the radiator (per the instruction), but I am a bit curious if by placing the cooler directly in front of the radiator would it inadvertently reduce the amount of air going to the radiator? I have an oil cooler on the driver side and with the trans cooler of the right side I am beginning to feel I blocked a good portion of the airflow to the engine. Should I have any concern or should I just lower the position of the trans cooler? Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    If you have A/C you'd notice the condenser covers most of the rad,that's the way the factory does it.
    I personally wouldn't put it directly ontop or against the rad rather mount it out front of the rad.
    I'm sure others will say there shouldn't be a problem mounting it against the rad.

This how I did mine.
    [​IMG]

3. Alex

Alex Registered Member

BobK, sorry, it is not mounted on the radiator; it is mounted in the front like your picture but on the passenger side. However, my 91 has an oil cooler where you mounted your trans cooler and I did not want to create any more obstruction. Also, your right about the A/C condenser it blocks the entire radiator and I was concern about blocking the air flow even more.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes it does make a difference, but not enough to worry about IMO. GM did the same thing with all the Aux. coolers, both oil and tranny. If whatever you put in front takes up a lot more space than stock, and is more restrictive to airflow (my stock oil cooler is pretty "see through") you might have problems.

But the coolers most people install, it won't hurt anything.

5. Drewminator

Drewminator Registered Member

I'm also running a B&M trans cooler with a thermostat controled elec fan but I mounted it next to the drivers side of the radiator on a custom bracket behind the head lights. On my '83 K5 the head lights are stacked above & below so I was able to cut a large hole in the metal between the Radiator & head lights. This allows any possable air to reach my radiator.

Hope this helps.

6. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

My 90 has the the same setup that you have (Factory Oil Cooler on the left, after-market Trany Cooler on the right) with no noticible negitive effect on radiator cooling.