Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

curious on the H2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Nov 27, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Back a few years ago- while at a auto show, John and I were checking out a Hummer. If I remember correctly it had a button to push to lower the air pressure, a button for this a button for that...basically the thing could do just about anything...

I was checking out hummer.com today, built one, and no where did I find any of those fancy features. (like I'd need them)...so the delima comes to this

A New Yukon XL Denali or comparably equipt Suburban is up in the 50K range...built the H2 today, with the Luxury package- its at about $54K after I added the 3rd seat etc.. I thought the H2 was like 65-75K....seems to me Hummer is trying to hit the "grocery mom" market...worked for me, if I can get a Hummer that nobody else here has...for the same price as a suburban, that everyone else has...hmmmmm..and the Hummer doesn't have barn doors..couldn't get much better.

Did they really tone down this H2, and turn it more into a "womans rig"???

Brandy

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

well from what i have heard off of 4wheeloffroad.com is that the h2 is just a little softer on the outside. As far as off road abilities they tested them on the Rubicon, made it the whole way whith all 4 rigs and had minimal problems. I dont care what anybody says those things still kick! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

"We share chassis and steering components with the heavy-duty 2500-Series Suburban and the 1500 Suburban," says Charlie Martin, the vehicle systems engineer for the Hummer H2 chassis and drivetrain. "But most of those shared parts have been heavily modified."
    http://www.truckworld.com/Sport-Utility/02-H2_preview/02-H2.html
    after reading this page, it's taller, thinner, longer, smaller tires, and a lot less ground clearance than before, i don't care for it much, i'd rather put the 50K+ into a blazer and it'd be way better than any H2 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

To over simplify...it's basically a burb with a hummer-esque body. It resembles the HMMV like an older S-10 Blazer resembles the Suburban.

What it is is a more civilized and less hard core Hummer. It does not have the portal hubs, or the tire deflators, or the winch etc etc. Then again it doesn't come with the old price tag either.

Rene

5. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

I've seen several of them up close now, These thing are huge /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

AWW theyre not that big when compared to a Blazer w/ 11 inches of lift and 38s. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

I love to park next to them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'll pass on the H2. The original was a much better rig. The H2 is for that yuppy **** that wants to impress other yuppy fawks. Sorry if ya like them, but that's just my opinion

8. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I agree...Unless its a millitary HMMWV it's an over priced Yuppie POS /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I can see the whole IFS thing and all since it is a Hummer. What really gets me though is a friggin 10 bolt rear axel. Couldn't they have at least used a SF 14 bolt. WTF.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Actually, they have a 14 SF...

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what kills me is GM will put out this gawd damn grocery getter, but refuses to offer a solid axle option on their trucks. see my thread in the garage forum for my thoughts on that /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i think that hummers are or atleast were cool, i still think the h2 is an awsome wheelin rig (if you whant to beat up 50K worth of truck). So far i have just heard good things about thier performance. But i dont much care for the newer "wussie" body styling. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Basicly all they are is a rebodied Tahoe. I dont think there is much if anything trick or special about them.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Please explain how the H2 is an awsome wheeling rig when all it is is a 2500 truck or Burb with different skin. It still has a GM IFS front end and a SF rear. It has a long wheelbase. Granted, the approach and departure angles are better, but still, I don't think it quite qualifies as an awsome wheeling rig. Many stock 4x4s can do the Rubicon, there are bypasses for everything, an experienced driver with intimate knoledge of the 'con could probably drive an Outback through it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif</font color>

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    what kills me is GM will put out this gawd damn grocery getter, but refuses to offer a solid axle option on their trucks. see my thread in the garage forum for my thoughts on that

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do - at another time

16. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Its FUGLY!!!

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Damn your right, opps.

18. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

A Hummer sales guy came over with a new H2 last week. I challenged him to quite a steep hill climb against my K5. Guess who won?

He finally made it all the way up after 3 tries but in his defense he has never been wheeling before. Lighter on the gas pedal might have allowed him to make it the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

well,brandy, if you really want to have something different, buy the h2 and put a full throttle suspension 9.5 inch lift on it, then some 39.5 tsl's, (see offroad magazine), then you would really be different than the rest of the grocery getters /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif