Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Curious on undercarriage painting

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Apr 4, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Dumb question, but here goes anyways. What do you guys normally use to paint the axle housings etc.? Just a good ol' rattle can of Krylon? Undercoating? Just wondering people like to use. I want it to look puuurrrrtttyyy.... at least until the first time out!!!! Just curious on what holds up and what doesn't.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My personal opinion..... do NOT use undercoating. This stuff dries and its dang near impossible to get back off. Stick with any good brand of industrial type paint. These are those Krylon brands, Rustoleum, etc.

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Napa makes a commercial coating available in a rattle can. It's put up with 3 years of Maine winters so far, as well as mudding. Only needs minor touch ups here and there when you tag something.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!!

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I used Rustoleum rusty metal primer after I cleaned it up, then followed with Rustoleum gloss black.

5. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

Rustolum is your best bet...maby as far as 3 coats...after my body work im gonna Rino line my wheel wells and inner fenders...then up on the out side of the fenders up to the trim kit..and attack the undercarage with rustolum and skid plates.

"Fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me"
    ---------------
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."