Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Curious

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bherring, May 4, 2002.

1. bherring

bherring Registered Member

Stephen,

If you were on some nice pavement in your rig, 4low/low, and mashed the go pedal, what would happen? Does it smoke all four? Just curious. I'm scared to try.

Take a look at the new bodystyle on the site below.

Thanks.
    -Beck.

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

u wont exactly "smoke" all four unless u have lockers, bulletproof axles, and are chained to somethin to hold ur ass still. But, u may possibly squeal them. other than that u will just have some badass acceleration.

NITRO

3. bherring

That's why I'm asking who I'm asking.

I want to know if those meats break free from pavement or not.

Thanks, Beck.

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I don't think so. I remember Stephen talking about the acceleration testing during the TTC, and he said that in 2WD low range (2:1) it would leave rubber for a short ways. I don't think it would in 4WD. But it's just a guess.

5. chief chiba

chief chiba Newbie

we shall see

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Pour a little water around the tires to get them started and maybe you could smoke all four. By the time the waters gone the tires should all be spinning.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

ill try at the track tomorrow and let ya know

NITRO

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Use bleach instead of water.

9. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i will seein as how i will b at a track. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

NITRO

10. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

have somone take some pics, itll look tough,

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

You would need Big power to turn tall tires over on pavement. I tried to burn my 44 TSL's on my concrete driveway in granny gear two wheel drive high with a 35 spline Dana 70 rear and I snapped an axleshaft. I would have a hard time imagining burning all four. It seems like if you had enough power you could burn all four, but most of us have to rely on gear reduction to turn out big tires and you just couldn't get the wheelspeed needed to truly break them loose. My rearend is welded and I can burn the rears forward or backward on WET pavement. I decided not to try anymore on dry.

12. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

L.M.G.D.F.A.O.!!! been there ..done that...and with 1/2 ton gear and 35's, i blew a brand new rear and eaton 350lb posi.. its dumb, dont less ya got 1 ton gear!!

13. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

got rained out...not goin to the track today. ill try it in the street and piss off the neighbors

NITRO

14. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my dad's buddy tried this with his 79 furd pickup and blew EVERY u-joint in the truck! the driveshafts, the front axle and the stubby shaft between the tranny and t-case. i wouldn't try it unless i had 1 tons and 31"s.

15. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I've tried just nailing it a little and with low range you will definitely not get the wheelspeed you need to burn em. Maybe a chirp if your lucky. Its funny, I have an auto and it couldn't upshift fast enough to keep the engine from redlining. When it did hit the next gear though it would about toss me into the back. Pulled the front mounts to my seat loose!, which wasn't too hard I reckon since there isn't much sheet metal left to hold em, LOL. That was with a stockish 350, 700r4, 208, and all 1/2 ton, sitting on 33 bfg mt's.

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nitro may be able to do it... we'll see. His rig certainly has the power. If he had some smaller tires, I'm sure he could do it...

J

17. bherring

Yeah, I just know Stephen has both the power and the durabity (1-ton). I broke the joint at the back of the case when I tried to brake the swampers (35 psi) loose on pavement in low range. Needless to say....I was very disappointed. Whatever. We shall see. Nitro...what do you have that makes you think you can rip it? -Beck.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

as his name sorta implies... a huge big block + nos system....

J

19. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

heres the deal... the K5 will squeal but not lay down a serious piece of rubber unless its assend is strapped to a house. with that said, the 555cid mud bogg/show truck will get them to smoke, but it isnt exactly like a burnout in a funny car. but, the k5 will do a hell of a nice burnout in 2hi. and that is with 1/2tons. so there are the results.btw, the 555 has usually has 44"boggers,but burnout was with 31"coursers. the k5 is alot of fun for burnouts on [censored] tires /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

NITRO

20. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

In 2wd single low it left some black, that was at low altitude (TTC) though. Up here I don't know if I could get them to break loose in rear single low and I don't know about getting enough wheel speed in double low, and the added traction from the front would probably just launch it hard to the redline. It will spin all four pretty easy on fairly tacky slickrock when it has a strap and anchor I just don't think it has the off-the-line jump in power to get them all broken loose when it can accelerate. Up here the torque converter stall is somewhat low, at TTC it was pretty lively since the motor comes on strong in the mid 2000 rpm range and the torque convertor stall was about 2400. It launched scary hard for a guy used to a small block at high altitude!