Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

curiousity...blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grey Thunder, Mar 3, 2000.

1. Grey Thunder

Grey Thunder Registered Member

Home: Ojai, Ca......School:Santa Cruz, Ca
    i was just curious what initially drew all you guys to the K5 life..personally muy nieghbor had one and i used to work on it with him and from there on all i ever wanted was a K5

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

For me I guess it was fate. I went to a coworkers house one night to get a tattoo done by him. In his driveway was sitting this huge, black, monster of a 4x4. I asked him, who's monster is this? Told me it was his sisters and that it was for sale. So I bought my 74 K5 with 7" of total lift for $1500 on a $100 a week payment plan. Came with a rebuilt motor from what they told me. I have had it for almost 2 years now and see no smoke of any color. yet.....

3. wes88k5

wes88k5 Registered Member

I wanted a K5 since I was about 5 yrs. old. My aunt and uncle used to have a yellow and white one. I used to love to ride in it. So last year when I found one for sale in good condition for $6000 I jumped at the chance. Just so turned out to be my first and current vehicle. I guess it really is a love of a lifetime!

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

not sure exactly why, but i've wanted one since i was a kid. preferably black, but as long as it was a chevy blazer, it was ok. it's still one of the largest rigs out there, without being ridiculous. do anything, go anywhere, carry it all, with the ac on, and the stereo blastin.
    and ya gotta dig that removable top!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well my best friends family had one, never took it wheeling, just as a family car. I wanted it then. Got mine out of necessaty and have fallen in love with her.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Wanted one forever, kinda fell outa love with them for a while and was jeep shoping (Don't flame me) Was at a little used car lot wanting to test drive a jeep they had, the guy told me he didn't have the keys and asked if I wanted to drive the Blazer. I told him NO, but he kept after me, I decided to drive it and bought it the next day. I guess the good lord does send angels down to keep us from straying from the pack. I'm pretty sure he's a K5 owner too.

Kyle
    89K5

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

For me it was b/c one of my bestfriends owns a big ass 79' Bronco. He shows it off to everyone and stuff. I got mad and wanted to top him. But I'm not a big fan of Ford and I always loved Chevy for some reason so I did some research and learned about the K5 full convertible. I always wanted a convertible. Now my Beater is bigger and better than his(except for his Dana 60 front and rear axles, won't get in to that). We're still fighting to see whos is better.
    Boss

8. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

My 11 year old son found Ken Brown's 1972 Blazer on this forum, while surfing the internet about 6 months ago, and wanted to "buy one just like it!!". I've played with Harley shovelheads for more than 25 years but it's been a solo endeavor because my son is just not interested in motorcycles (smart kid!) I've always wanted to get him acquainted with working with tools, researching a project, making decisions, etc., so I jumped on his newly discovered passion (thanks Ken Brown) and bought a 1987 K5 with 180,000 miles. He and I have dropped the trans/transfer case, installed new clutch components, lots of sheet metal work, and on and on. We both read these boards daily for information and inspiration. It has been rewarding, for both of us, working side by side. It won't be long before he chooses his peers over spending time with his Dad, but for now, it's a couple hours a day in the garage - just the two of us. Oh, by the way, the K5 is NEVER/repeat NEVER referred to as "my" truck, but always as his. When friends come over to visit he takes them out to the garage and points out the components he's learned to identify.

9. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

well, before we got married my husband always talked about his dad's old blazer...think it was a 79 or 80....he said he loved it....his dad drove it for about 10-11 years, bought when it was a year old...he said he originally wanted his dad's old blazer for his first truck...but his brother got his hands on it & mutilated it as a mud runner....so he eventually found a beautiful 84 gmc jimmy....georgious. So i drove his truck once in a while and always rode in it and you know what happens....once you ride in a blazer you got to have one...i fell in love with it....they're my favorite vehicle....with the crew cab version of the blazer running a very close 2nd.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Growing up on Long Island (a long time ago) my neighbor had a 73 K5 that he took the top off and cruised the beaches with.........then another friend in Arizona when I moved there had a dad with a nice 74.........got the fever when we went fourwheeling up at Four Peaks (Zonie guys know where that is) and the rest, as they say, is history. 1 S-10 Blazer, 5, yes 5 K5 Blazers later I have committed to the Blazer Life. Oh, well, could be worse...........could be a Donco owner.........or CHeep owner..........[​IMG]

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

11. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

I bought mine because I'm considering moving back to Alaska and need something with a V8, room to sleep, and 4 wheel drive,,,, something that is cheap, is easy to work on, reletively cheap to fix, and parts are readily available.
    If Toyota had something comperable, I would be driving it.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

By chance I got one in high school but had to sell it b/c it got about 3-5mpg, but man would it run! After college spent about 2 yrs looking for a '73 to '75. Found a '73 in very good condition and been lovin' it since. Love camping, 4wheeling, etc. Can't get enough.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Convertable, Convertable, I new I wanted a full convertable rig with a full roll cage on it!! Of coarse I started out looking at old Flat fender Willys and they just seemed so small and no were to carry all the gear I new I would need for camping and trail riding!!
    Then I saw it A 1972 K5 with the top off[​IMG] [​IMG]..........
    two months later I found mine, This was in 1992..
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

14. drifter

drifter Registered Member

Bought my Blazer and graduated both in 79, And have had it ever since. She has only made me walk once in all those years. Its not stock anymore though[​IMG] It's just a good thing that Blazers cant' talk, because it would have lots of stories to tell [​IMG] Blazer owners are a breed of thier own!

15. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

BECAUSE there is no better vehicle to DRIVE!

16. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I actually got started with a TWO Wheel Drive Chevy. Dad had an '81 Chevy Pickup for 13 years and that got me hooked on Chevy trucks. Worked on a Canadian Forces Base in the summer of '91 and got to drive an unmarked (supposedly for undercover work) Blazer and fell head over heels in love with the rig. The snap of the 350 in that short wheel-based rig blew my mind. Finally got my '89 in 1997 and have been counting the months and days until it's paid off so I can start my complete rebuild!

Only three more months to go!!!!!!!

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!

17. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

I remember looking at the emblem on the K5's when i was a kid saying i want a k5. My parents never could figure out what i was talking about. I guess you can call it a passion or a love. I would not give mine up for the world. When i mat my wife i was in the middle of completely building my K5. She could not believe the time and more so the $$$.I told her you just watch. Now every weekend she is more ready than me to go trail riding or mudding.I am glad I got the chance to buy my K5. I would buy 10 more if I had the funds!!!!
    David [​IMG]

Drive It Like You Stole It !!!![​IMG]

18. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Pretty much the same as everyone else. I wanted one for the room and the straight axles, not to mention that I would only buy a GM. I drove a 2wd 1990 model shortbed pickup for almost three years, and I always complained about the lack of room and no 4wd. Now that I have one I will never go back to anything smaller. It's cheap to lift, easy to work on and the top comes off! What more could you ask for? It's been seven years and one hell of a fun ride so far!!

BIGJ

"quietly praying for the end to SUV popularity"

19. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Well it started back in 84. Mom's boyfriend had a brand spankin new 84 K5 Diesel. Loved playing "Tank" in it with my little brother. We would flip up the rear seat and use the lever pretending it was a fireing lever and blew up the cars infront of us. Than came his 86, that was cool too. Growing up my friends mom had a 87 Diesel, that damn thing would go through anything, my mom bought a 88 S-10 and I always new I had to have one. So, the K-5 will get me through and some day plans include buying a K20/30 P/U. Until then...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

20. cocky

cocky Registered Member

I got a blazer because i liked the way they looked and wanted a vehicle with alot of space to carry stuff with out it getting wet. I got a 77 but didn't like the half cab. I went in search of a first generation blazer so i could have the full convertable top. I bought my baby for 1500 about 2 years ago. Since then i have fixed it up and i love it. It feels like a tank and looks awesome. I love riding around with the top off. Right now i'm fabricating soft doors so i can take them off to.