Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Current and ex millitary please read

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Oct 11, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My name is Dustin and I'm 19 and a sophomore in college in Texas. I am considering joining the millitary. I am looking at contracting with the army reserves while in school and doing the ROTC program. After I graduate I have the option to go full active or stay in the reserves. The program i'm looking at is the SMP program. This would render me nondeployable while in school.
    I guess I'm posting this as I am looking for adivice about this. Were you happy with your choice of going in meaning did the millitary treat you right or did they mess you around with things they promised you? I'm looking for any insight/advice yall may have. Any tips on talking with recruters?

I want to join so I can give back to the country that has given me so much. In our country's time of need I feel that this is the right thing to do.

Thanks

Dustin

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Now would be good time to join the Coast Guard. Whatever a recruiter promises you, make sure it is written on the contract that you sign. Also, if you flunk out of your promised training, they can put you wherever they want. I don't regret the years I spent in the service, but I do wish I would have done a few things differently.

3. hunterguy86

Thank you for your response and for your service in the millitary.

He told me I would be nondeployable because I would go to basic but I could not be deployed because I had not gone to a job school, so I would not be able to be deployed because basically my training is incomplete. When I graduate I would then finish my school (whatever I decide to do , MI, infantry, ect. ) I would also come out as a 2nd lt.

I made this post just to gather others opinons and insights because I understand that they are just salesmen tryin to get people to sign the paperwork.

Thanks again

Dustin

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Dirty work builds character..............

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I joined the Marine Corps over 13 years ago because I didnt want to flip burgers, planning on getting out at the end of my first enlistment. The military is a great, if you can deal with a few things. Lets start with your recruiter, officers are not "on the bag" meaning there is not a big quoata they have to fill every month. It is illegal for them to lie to you on anything as far as contracts go. They may down play the war but you will get what they write down. Here is a funny story, my wifes fammily has been in the military except her, talking one day with one of her uncles about retirement, he could not believe that at the age of 37 I will be able to get out and be payed the rest of my life, he has worked for over thirty years and wont get a pension untill he turns 65. Thats a good thing, of course there are alot of things most people dont want to do. One being going to war, I was in Bosnia in 95 and Iraq in 03, its not that bad. One thing to think of is what your short and long term plans. Headhunters love to find a young officer that is going to get out so they can pluck them up for a company. Find a service and job in that service that will put you ahead of the other twenty somethings in your job pool, or stay in and have fun. Pm with any specfic questions, and no I am not a recruiter.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have been in the Navy for a little over 10 years now, Currently stationed across the street form Boot Camp, and all of my students are fresh out of boot. Within a few months anyways. Hove been here for almost 3 years and am ready to roll back to sea duty in (KSD) San Diego. I can get you any information you would like about the navy and various programs. Navy Recruiting Region Central Command is just down the street form here and i know a few Chief's over there.

If you are going to do it for the money that you would definatly head towards an officer program. I love being enlisted and will never cross over that line. Being a Chief in the navy is more than you could understand until you are there. Been a Chief for over 3 years and am still learning.

One of the best things about serving the the brotherhood shared with your fellow servicemen. In many ways it can not be beaten. Also you will see the world, and get to travel on the governments dime:D

One downfall is that you will eventually deploy away from your family. I have done 3 deployments on a USS Destroyer. 2 of them were 6 months and the 3rd was 8 months. All three were to the Gulf Region.

Let me know if you need anything.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I agree with readymix whole heartedly he and I went to A-School together, we chose different paths and yet are both succesful in our careers. I unlike him have decided to accept a commission. And being a Chief is something you can not understand until you are there. I do applaud you for gathering information and making an informed decision. I say go Navy and volunteer submarines. Silent service run silent run deep and rain fire from Heaven from 1500 miles away :D .

Ira

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in the same boat with sapper. I have been in the Marines for around 10 years now and love it. The military is what you make of it. Just take a look at all of your options before you sign the contract is really my only advice. I am in a deployable unit and I love it. Always something new going on and remember the more rank you pick up the easier it is, well to a point.

Talk to a few different branches and see which one is right for you. Some have a nice soft bed to sleep in every night and well some of us who don't really care for a bed to sleep in evey night. I taught at an entry level school for the Corps for 3 years and have heard and seen alot of the recruiters stories but they can't (to a point) lie to you. Sure while your in college you will be non deployable but well once your done with school your fair game. Just keep your options open as to what you want to do and pick a specialty that you not only think you will like but will put you ahead of everyone when you get out. When I get out I will have 20 or so years of communications experience behind me and will be looking fo rthe money.

Any questions post up or pm and ask away.

9. hunterguy86

Thanks for the insight yall. I hope yall dont mind but I added you to my buddy list.

For me its not about money, however that is a nice perk. For me its about giving back to the country that has given me so much.

Any advice is appriciated.

Thanks again,

Dustin

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I did 11 years in the Corps, both Active and Reserve. There's a few things I'd change over the years if I had the chance to go back, but even knowing how the bad things turned out, I'd still do it all over again.

As it has been said, keep your options open and talk to officer recruiters from all the services (in the Corps they're called OSO's - Officer Selection Officers). Once you choose a branch to serve in, and they've offered you a job field, and the money for school, make sure it's all in writing on your contract, in the proper place.. Anything you're "told" that isn't in writing is just pissing in the wind.

Deployments? YES, you will deploy. After school and training is done and you go to your first duty station, you'll deploy at some point. Might not necessarily be to the sandbox, but you'll go somewhere overseas. Enjoy it, and reflect on how, as F'd up as America seems to be sometimes, we really do have the best country on the planet.

Good luck! :usaflag:

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yes it does. I'm with the other Jarheads here. I thouroughly enjoyed my time in the Corps, even though that meant potentially taking a bullet. I was guaranteed Infantry, even though I had a wide open choice of careers. Like every one else said, get everything guaranteed, IN WRITING.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  12. hunterguy86

Thanks again for the posts yall. I'm going to go talk to the ROTC today and see what they have to say.

Thanks again

Dustin

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you're really that worried about getting "jerked around" by the military, its hard to recommend joining the armed forces. I was Marine infantry for 4 years... sometimes I'd get promised things and then they'd go back on their "word", its just the way it works in the military. Putting up with those kinds of minor inconveniences is part of the sacrifice of serving. Its no big deal if you can let it roll off your back like water on a duck and you'll be fine. I always had the "oh well, its all good" mind set when I was in, and that helped a lot.

j

14. hunterguy86

I really dont mind getting moved around or having them change my MOS or anything like that. I just want to be able to finish my degree and go in with a comission.

Thanks once again for all the support and advice.

Dustin

15. hunterguy86

Well I spoke with the ROTC. I'm going to enroll in that program and do it that way. After I graduate I will come out with a comission and then its active duty for me.

Thanks for all the input,

Dustin

16. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Dustin
    I had the oppurtunity when I was in school to do the same thing that your are talking about I however didn't commit to it. The only thing that the Army can do is not give you your MOS like if you go in as a 2nd Lt with a 95B MOS they can switch you to something else. Kind of like they can put you where they need you. Compare it to managment in a company you going to start as the shipping manager, week before you start a position opens up as the recieving manager so you get that instead. Most of the exp. given to you here is for regular Army if you stay reserves when you graduate your commitment is still with the reserves not that that makes you less deployable but just different. What ever you do get it in writing and get it before you sign on the line. My recruiter said that once I signed up I would get promoted cause of my school well that never happened. So get in writing before you sign. The SMP program is a great thing when you go to your reserve unit they treat you like an officer already even though your still a cadet. You will also get double pay and E5 pay as a cadet. I would look for a MOS in the medical field cause its something that you can do on the outside and get good money for. Besides MOS training is in Fort Sam Huston and that place rocks. Plus you take basic training with the women which makes it more pleasent, and funner :D. I think any support service position you get to do that, let the jarheads work the front lines, they are better at it anyway ;)

17. hunterguy86

Thanks a lot guys. I really appriciate all the advise yall have given me. This site is the best. Members here are great people. Best 15 dollars I ever spent.
    Thanks again yall

Dustin