Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom air cleaner...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Jan 20, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a nice big factory air cleaner (the one thats like 5" tall, off a '85 with a 305). The element is plenty big, thats not a problem... but the intake on the thing is a) kinda small and b) hard to connect standard dryer-hose type stuff too. I was thinking that maybe I could make a custom air cleaner that would use the same size element but have a nice large (4"?) round input that would be good and easy to attach in air intake hose too. Said dryer hose would connect to either the intake by the grille up front, or (when i was offroading and water crossings were possible) to a custom port in the firewall that would put the intake in the top/rear of my rig.

anyway, any1 here made a custom one... and if so, got pics? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I did a search and found some info, but not really many pics or how-tos. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks in advance!

j

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

why not get a open element filter?

3. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

i just made a snorkel, but thats prolly a lil much for u

NITRO

4. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

I got another air cleaner that had the same size intake that the hose fit's to and cut and welded it on the opposite side of my original.Then I got another hose like my original and ran it up to the grill.There should be a factory knock-out in the grill to run the hose to.You'll have to get the part that the hose connects to in the grill,look at your's and you'll understand.So,I have a dual inlet,kinda ram air type air cleaner.Put the big ol' K@N filter in it and I'm set.I prefer to have cold air going to my engine,therefore I don't run open elements.My truck seem's to run better with this set-up.I'll try to figure out how to post a picture on here or give me your e-mail and I'll send it to ya.GOD Bless,jtpepper

5. jekbrown

theres a purdy good idea jt... it would increase air flow. Only thing is, it would complicate setting up a snorkel. Its still a good idea tho... if u get a pic up, lemme know, I'd like to see it.

J

6. jtpepper

Sorry I haven't replied lately,been busy.I have a pic on webshots.com but I don't know how to link it.Could you please give detailed instruction's 'cause I'm computor stupid.Thanx and GOD Bless,jtpepper

7. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

the only problem that i can think with routing the intake to the air cleaner to the front of the two 4" round holes on either side of the front radiator support is that it will funnel any and all water directly into the engine. if it was me i would make a snorkel set-up or just use an open element type. the air cleaner that i run is 12" dia and about 7 or 8" tall k&n its will actually fits into the stock air cleaner housing except for the height. i just too an old 14" after market air cleaner housing and used my die grinder to cut it down to the diameter of the k&n . it lets the engine breath much better than the shorter k&ns and definatly flows better than the stock air filter. just my .02

8. jekbrown

posting a link is purdy simple, just bring up the webshots page that has the pic... select the entire line of text where it says "address"... hit control C (which copies that text)... then when you write your post here in the forum, hit control V and it will paste the link in the message.

AFA funneling all the water into the engine, yeah that would definitely be a problem if I crossed any water or really watery mud etc. Thats why I wanted to have a single large intake that would mount to the grill intake when i drove in non-water situtations, but it could be un-hose-clamped and attached to a shorkel hose if I was gonna go through some water. Prolly rig up a "port" in the firewall that would allow the hose to be hooked up for snorkle action.

j

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I don't know why open element air filters are considered good. I know I thot so when I was in HS, but not any more. A closed can allows you to duct cool dense air into the intake and keeps the underhood hot, thin air out of the intake. The ducting is important because you can now choose a place to pick up relatively clean air to start with.

You can probably change the shape of the end of the snorkle on the fiilter can to round. Find something hard to use as a form. A piece of wood carefully cut to shape would work so long as it isn't soft pine. Use lots of little hammer taps to move the metal over your form. Might practise this on a junk part or two first.

10. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

actually some of the 80's model camaros and vettes had the dual air intake that jt was talking about. You might find one for cheap ion a junk yard some where. The setup had two air iuntakes on both sides of the air cleaner housing that when to two different places on the front support for the grille and radiator. I'm going to try and find one of these for myself cause I just got a Gm crate 350 with 330 hp and it needs more air.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Another thought, some of the old Dodge (etc.) with Thermo-Quads had nice big dual snorkle breathers. The air horn on the TQ is the same size as a QJ IIRC...

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Well no one seemed to understand what you were wanting here... there is a guy on the OBH list that I know has made his own snorkle using 4" PVC. I will check with him to see if he has any pics of it.

But you have a good idea for using ONE snorkle but making it larger than stock then having a port in the firewall for use only when wheeling with possible water exposure.

I think modifying the hole in your stock air cleaner and making an oval (larger oval than stock) to round adapter for it would be the way to go. Might take a walk around a Big hardware store in the HVAC section.

Also check out this webpage:
    Oval ducting
    search for "duct" on that sight to bring up more options too.

13. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

14. jekbrown

kennyw: lol, yeah I think i confused a few people. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif the trick is modifying the input on the stock cleaner i think. I guess a trip to the hardware store is in order... Im sure there is a cheap/easy way to do it. Of course, if GM had just made it simple/round in the first place there would be no problem. Anyway, then i just need about 10' of 4" dryer hose (need some under the hood and some to go through the cab into the back of the rig during full snorkle action!). Not sure how I am gonna put that port in the firewall... need some kind of deal that will allow me to close it off when not in use... its already noisy enough in my cab without engine noise going straight into the cab! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Something akin to my parents central-vac system in their house would work i think... it has a little door that you have to lift up, and when you do it exposes the port that you attach the vac hose too. Hmmm... I just need to spend some time wandering around lowes or home depot i think... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

15. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of a truly " Custom" air cleaner. Also please note, in a pinch it can be used as a bean pot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]

16. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Ok what is the part # on that again? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. jtpepper

Here's the link to my picture.I hope it works.GOD Bless,jtpepper

Hey,it worked.Sorry it's not too pretty but it work's.I removed the valves that were in the intake.The new one,drivers side,is removed and a peice of plastic is in it's place.I used the screws to hold it in place then welded it inside.It's not as nice as some on here.How'd like those valve covers?

http://community.webshots.com/scripts/editPhotos.fcgi?action=showMyPhoto&albumID=61504759&photoID=61505656&security=fqKjsp

18. jekbrown

doh, thats the link to the page alright... but only you (as the guy who runs your webshots page) can view it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif when you log in, in the center of the page just above the "add a new album" button is a thing that says "Your public Community page" and then a link... post that, we'll be able to use that one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif thanks in advance!

j

19. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sorry, got distracted by the dual inlet stuff and lost track. You might check a junk yard for the rubber/plastic snorkel thing like came with my '89 TBI. It has the flat/oval end that snaps tightly on the breather housing. Then it changes to (roughly) 4" round accordion tube. You could probably reverse it and modify it to work…

20. jtpepper