Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom airbag setups

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by sled_dog, May 15, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sep 3, 2002
    Talking along those lines. A thought I had was, used bags from a big rig, with static pressures. Run like 3 end to end, 1 with fairly big pressure(compared to the other 2) one a little softer then one plenty soft. Would act like a variable rate spring setup. I know that a single airbag won't have a large amount of droop due to the fact you can only stretch so far but 3 bags would be 3 times as much. Anyone know about the system I posted a picture of above? I realize its a comp thing and probably wouldn't be good for a full size but all this lightweight stuff has me thinking more and more I'm gonna try and pickup an S10 real cheap and start building a really light truggy.
  2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Apr 21, 2001
    air bags are kind of variable rate as it is. as you compress them they become firmer.

i dont know how that particular setup works, but seen more common is the setup with the bags on the links and fame. you can use a smaller bag with a lot of travel. have to use higher pressuers, a lot stronger links and bag, slong with some link bracing and frame bracing.

im in the process of gathering the parts to bad my dually. i have been doing a bit of research on bags. i think they are very well worth it and some day would like ot build a 1 seat buggy with bags all round and a 4 cyl diesel.
    just a thought though.