Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom apps & mpg

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jan 13, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I wonder what kind of milage you could get out of a 6.2 if you were to throw it into something it didn't normally come in. ie s-10 or an elcamino. I know a v-8 in an s-10 will get good milage just due to the power to weight ratio. I think a v-8 powered s-10 gets about the same as a 6.2 powered K5, 18ish mpg. And if a K5 w/ 6.2 gets 18 what would the s-10 w/ 6.2 get? And IIRC an elcamino should have a similar weight to the s-10. Also an elcamino would be just too cool w/ a gooseneck setup for my trailer! :haha: But seriously, I think there could be some great mpg out of a 6.2 powered vehicle like an s-10 or elcamino. A 5 or 6 speed tranny would be cool. Did they even produce a stick from the factory in the elky? A 700 would be ok w/ a lockup torque convertor but I feel that a stick always slips less anyway.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I put one in a 71 chev station wagon... it got 22 mpg driven hard... 2wd tank

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I'd imagine anything you put it in would get better mileage to a degree. Putting a diesel in a honda civic would kick ass, but lets face it: you're not going to improve on 32 MPG with a 400 cubic inch diesel engine. you'll be able to haul semi's out of ditches though, :D

I put a 454 in Burbanzilla for reasons of Mileage*... With the 350 I had in it, I pulled 7 MPG before I blew a headgasket, and 6 after I melted a head. With the 454, I consistently pulled 9's with a broken carbureator, which I'm hoping has crawled up into the 10's, and possibly 11's with the most recent rebuild on that crappy edelbrock Quadrajet.

*(shut up.. it's the exuse I'm using, and the excuse I will stick by until the day I die... 400 HP had nothing to do with it. :q: )

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I get 10mpg with my 82 crew dually and a 350, th400 and a set of 3.73's. the exuast is leaking good by the drivers manifold and also on the drivers collector and it needs a tune up. my 84 isnt on the road yet so it will be quite a while till i see how much mpg the 454 and 465 w/ 3.73's get. I would love to get an elky and set it up to haul the gooseneck... thatd be killer even if only to post a pic on here :grin:

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:thinking: hmm just had another possible swap idea. I know v-8 fiero's fly. so light.... So they Must get the 6.2 swap too mmmwwwwuuuahahaha :grin: think I'll start the 6.2 swap craze garage. LOL be the next monster garage here in Maine :grin: I'm :screwy: I know. And proud of it

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check this out...

http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/vet.htm

Guy claims 48 miles per imperial gallon. Roughly 40 mpg (to the smaller US gallon)

Pretty odd swap if you ask me.

Rene

7. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Rene, now thats what I'm talking about!! 40mpg... but a 6.2 in a vette... :haha: that is funny. And you are right about an odd swap for sure!! but then again is a 6.2 in a fiero that I thought of any "less odd"? :thinking.

8. tRustyK5

Ya know...with how light that vette is it prolly goes all right. :crazy:

[​IMG]

Pretty tight fit too, not sure you could shoehorn that into a Fiero.

Rene

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

That gives me an idea. Late 70's Camaro's are dirt cheap, and already uber slow, and have a larger engine bay than a vette. I bet a 6.5TD would shoehorn nicely in that, and i bet it would be decently quick:thinking:

10. tRustyK5

Yeah, plus the better aero-dynamics, lower rolling resistance and much less weight would also net great fuel mileage. 190 hp and 375 lbs of torque would move the car along quite nicely, especially if you got a 4200 rpm govenor on it.

Rene

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

If you can shoehorn a smallblock chevy into a Fierro, then I don't see why you couldn't shoehorn a 400 cubic inch diesel engine into a fierro.. Turbo diesel might take some doing with the requisite odd exhaust requirements, although you could just do the manly thing, and install a blower instead...

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

A camaro with a 6.5TD with a 4200 RPM governor, marine injectors, marine pistons, and an intercooler would make an awesome daily driver.

This isnt good, now i have ideas in my head.

13. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

From living up there for a few years I know just how crazy some of your Mainers can get too! Don't disappoint me and just go ahead and do it!

14. tRustyK5

Good to see you back Rich!

The 6.2/6.5 motors are physically the same or bigger than a bbc. The Vette could be optioned with the BBC, so could a CK pick-up so they diesels do fit. A small block is a tight fit in a Fiero from the pic's I've seen...I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just that it would be a ton more work to shoehorn it in there.

Joe, I like the way you think...now I'm getting ideas too.

Bombed D-Max/T56 in an late 70's Camaro...:laugh:

Rene

15. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

You guys are more twisted then me :grin: Too bad you weren't closer you could have the 79 Camaro I am having crushed next week, be a cheap start to a twisted conversion :hack:

16. tRustyK5

Well, I'm not that far away...but I really don't need more projects in my life right now. :)

Of course now you've got me curious...how is the body?

Rene

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

Good to see you again too. I've had 2 ideas for shoehoring the engine into a fiero. First one involves basicaly building the car around the enigne piece by peice. You'd want to test the rolling chassis before you finished buttoning it up. of course, as there'd be no way to troubleshoot it once you finished installing the bodywork.

The second involves a 100 foot tall crane, the engine sitting on a stack of pallets, and the car beng helped over the engine with our friend Gravity. This method may leave a few dings in the body work, and has the potential to overcompress the springs. this method also would take hair trigger reflexes to get the fiero lined up with the engine perfectly.

18. tRustyK5

I like method #2...good use of a Fiero! :D :D

Rene

19. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean about not needing another project. Body is straight and rust free I was just cannibalizing it for my 70, I really have no interest in a late 2nd gen ;) I'll post up in the PNW section before it goes away.

20. tRustyK5

Sounds good, I'll watch for your post in the PNW forum.

Rene