Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom back window/info/4sale

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Dec 4, 2001.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

part of this idea i got off of this forum. i swapped in a pu tailgate and had a custom back window made out of an old tonneau cover,(looks simular to a soft top back or jeeps).it has a vinyl clear window with a 2-way zipper so it can be folded down or the whole unit can be rolled up safari style.
    it is held on by snaps and i am adding commercial grade velcro for air tightness. i made an aluminun drip edge over the top to keep out the rain and it hasnt leaked yet. i have recieved several complements on it. since i provided the material the sewer charged me $50.00 for labor, misc. material.the tailgate i took off is now for sale if any one is interested. it is about 6 months old and is after market. most of the window componets are brand new except for a broken clutch in the handle. comes with hinges and also a spare set.window is stuck in slightly raised position.make offer and email me.shipping will be extra. also have tons of 4x4 mags for sale and most are in good shape and stored in clear sleaves. if you are interested in a particular issue email me . dates go back to early 90's late 80's.info i need is wtf is the "L" bracket " for on late model blazers mounted on the fire wall dead center in back of air cleaner that has a large bolt in it that is adjustable? it has been suggested it is for support brackets that tie into the rad support kind of like 60's and 70's muscle cars. i believe this is peculiar to blazers because i have not found it in pu's or subs.you can see this bracket in engine pics in a book called chevy blazer 1969-1981 made by brooklands books and possible from pics of members rides from this site. i plan to send in pics of the back window in the future. thanks.
    darren olander
    1979 chevy cheyenne blazer
    350/350
    gettin down on all fours , 4 a'little
    x
    4 play !

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Good info on the back window. How does the size of your vinyl window compare to the size of the factory glass? That would be great for those trying to save weight or tired of rear window problems.

As for the other stuff, you should probably post it in the Parts For Sale/Wanted forum.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

OHHHHHHHH Now I know what that bracket it. Just dawned on me. If you look at the bottom of the hood there is a hole. That bolt goes into the the hole. There is one on either side of the cowel.
    THE REASON they are there is in a frontal accident it keeps the hood from going through the windsheild if for some reason it doesn't fold at the weak spot that is enginnered into the hood to make it fold.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Grim nailed the bracket. GM truck hoods are narrower than the windshield, so in a head-on collision, they can came through the cab and decapitate the passengers. [​IMG] Especially if you have installed those hood stiffening braces. The hood is designed to bend at that location, rather than pushing back through the windshield. In later years, that extra bracket and pin showed up to help keep the hood outside the passenger compartment.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Post a pict or two.
    Thanks KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>