Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom body mounts---help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Jan 15, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I guess most of yall know I bobbed the back end of my truck. Well it also took out the back two body mounts. I've got 3-1/8" between body and frame and need to fab up something custom to bridge the gap. What would you use? I"m thinking to use a 3-1/8" long piece of 3" or so polyurethane round stock, bore a hole dead center, and bolt through the body, through the poly piece, and thru the top of the frame. 2 places. There will also be a 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed too, that's a lot of weight. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would do something simular to the factory set up but with a piece of U channel. My tail pan was rusted out and I just made a new one with C and it worked great. The big thing I did on mine was make it extra wide so that ti would be under the rear legs of the roll bar. It was heavy (56lb) but you need that to handle the tank weight. The big issue I noted when I saw the pictures of your truck was the lack of uprights at the end of the bed to hold the walls up. Using the C would let you take some 1x2 box and make new uprights to address that issue. The other alterantive is to reweld the rear of the truck on minus the desired amount you want to shed but with a beefed up tail pan to handle the tank weight.
    Have a peek at my site an my barn door tail gate. Maybe it will give you some ideas. Hopefully this week I can get the film developed that has the pics of my tail pan and post them.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>