Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom center console idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jul 5, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I seem to need everything in my truck to do many different tasks. Following this logic, here is my design for a custom center console. It will be made out of 1/2" plywood. I dont know what to use for the actual switch panel. I was thinkin this brown stuff that peg boards are made out of but without the holes. Its thin enough to mount switches to but thick enough to support them. I have at my disposal a table saw, jig saz, sawzall, dremel tool, drill press and hand drill. Any ideas on how I can bend some stuff? I will need to bend and manipulate some kind of material for the speaker enclosures as the speakers will be aimed up at the passengers.

[​IMG]

2. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

save your money and get the Tuffy one...very nice...
    I just put the big rear cargo drawer in the back of my K5, had to move the seat up 2" to fit it in...but looks nice...

3. afroman006

Save my money? Tuffy console- $175 or so. 1 8x4 sheet of plywood-$15, piano hinge- $5, other little hardware, $10 max, building it exactly like I want...priceless. I have EVERYTHING I will need already just laying around so its basically free. No tuffy for me.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Pretty interesting design. I like it.

I don't see where the need to bend anything would come into play though. Also what size speakers do you plan on using?

5. afroman006

I guess you're right, if I did it right, I could angle the speakers up and out without having to bend anything, just make quite a few very precise cuts. What kind of tool would yall recomend for cutting angled edges into 1/2" or thinner plywood? I want/need it to be precise for appearence and function's sake. If they'll fit, I want to use 5 1/4" Infinity Kappa's and cover them with some kind of grill so some dumbass doesnt step on them.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

A table saw with the right blade and carefull measurements will get you the cuts you want.

Just remember.... Measure twice and cut once. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Your design is pretty close to what I had planned.

[​IMG]

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Just be careful of the radio mount versus the cup holders, don't want any spills onto the radio. But I like your idea, I made mine with stuff i had laying around the garage and it has worked well for 4-5 years.

8. Bandit175

Bandit175 Registered Member

if you are still lookin for a switch panel, check out radio shack. they have these things called project boxes. they are hard plastic and have a removal metal panel. they are made for electrical projects and come in all different sizes. not very expensive. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. afroman006

Oh damn didnt think about that. Well since you couldnt tell from my pics, the cup holders in the front are going to be at floor level. The ones to the rear would be too but i dont want any kind of drink anywhere near my $150 speakers so I'm goin to ditch them (the cupholders). The rear passengers have gone without them before so they dont need them anyway. I like your design too. To each his own huh.