Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom center console

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jester, May 10, 2005.

1. jester

jester Registered Member

I am wanting to build a custom center console to hold my CD player, CB, and BC780xlt scanner. I don't like having them mounted under the dash where they are all in plain site of thieves. Also it would be much easier to access them if they were right next to my seat while driving. Anyways, has anyone ever done anything like this? I am looking for ideas. I looked at Tuffy's, but they only hold one item. I am pretty much thinking I would make it out of wood, because I work for a cabinet shop so I have plenty of access to the tools needed. I don't really have much of an idea on the design yet, so any ideas or even pics of something like it would be awesome. Oh yeah, I am also thinking about putting a power inverter in it and mounting an outlet box to the back. Thanks for any ideas!

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

stock console?

I used a stock K5 console in my truck--I put the CB and a scanner inside it,they were a tight fit,but it worked good,kept them out of sight,and easy to reach compared to under the dash...it cost 10 bucks at the junkyard!...a cabinet lock is easy to add to the existing door(lid?)..

My other pickup had the CB installed in the dash,where an A/C duct would have been if I had A/C-(above the ashtray and to the right)-it wasnt too hard to put in,the glove box can be swung out of the way to gain easier access to install the mounting brackets..
    I also had bucket seats from a mercury sable bolted to a rectangular frame of angle iron(old bed frame :blush: )that in turn was bolted to the original bench seat tracks,with a big homemade "box" in the center to carry all my chains,winch controls,jumper cables,and other stuff that usualy clutters up the cab-

-I'm no cabinet maker,it was pretty crude,and it didn't look "pimp",but it held all my junk,plus it could be sat on if nessasary--crude as it was,I liked that setup alot--so much so,that I kept the seats and the box now that I'm junking that truck--the seats are the right maroon color to match my 79 C10 and 82 K20's interior--they might end up in one of them someday,or maybe they'll just get used as a "couch" in the garage!..

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm using the stock 75 console but installed my cd player in there. I have a CB to put underneath it, but I need to get it fixed first. Here's a shot of it:

[​IMG]

If you do hide the stereo in a console then you need one of these to cover the hole in the dash:

[​IMG]

It is a factory Radio delete plate. Very hard to find, but helps the "illusion" of keeping the radio out of plain sight!

4. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

or you can mount up an original factory AM only radio (minus the guts for wieght/space)... odds are no one will look twice if they see the factory radio

5. jester

jester Registered Member

lol, yeah no kidding. Thanks for the pics and ideas. I think maybe I will tray taking stock one and working with it from there. I was going to put a plate where the factory stereo was and mount my switches there. Thanks again!

6. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

This might give you some ideas. Custom Center Console
    Post pics as you go, I'm sure everyone would love to know how it goes.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Heh, I've been thinking about doing the same; have a scanner, CB, and a VHF radio mounted to the dash, and soon i'll have another VHF/UHF radio to add... running out of space :o

8. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

thats bas @#$ man great job :D

9. coptezr

coptezr 1/2 ton status

hey how much would i have to pay you to make me one :grin: im lazy...

10. Shh...I'm hiding

Shh...I'm hiding Registered Member

I built mine from 1/2" plywood and covered it wit some black, fake leather. My stere[o will not be hidden from view but it wouldnt be hard to change it. I have pics but have not become a full member yet :mad: . If youd like to see them I can email them to you. Let me know.

Not to hijack, but would it be poss to mount my heater/ac controlls in the console?

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

what about a tuffy center console for a blazer? thats what i have, its lockable, has plenty of storage, and you can put a stereo or a cb in it and when its locked you dont see the unit at all. i know there pricy but there built well and powder coated.