Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom chip info request?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by only 31s, Mar 14, 2005.

1. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

if someone nows how or if its poss to read what info is on a chip?long story short i got some surprises under the hood electronically when i got my new ride-the ecm was garbage but the chip was ok-i think? i swapped comp w my old ride{same ecm #] but to get the eng to run decent -i had to disconect o2 sens and time it by ear W/the est bypass stlii connected and turned up the fuel pressure.I want to kknow what was on that old {poss custom} chip because it did chew up the old comp. the chip is dark brwn w/see through middle and a real comp chip dead center w tiny wires branching out to pins! can anybody id and help?:confused:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No offense, but your post kind of confuses me.

ECM pictures

The "middle" pictures show all the stock pieces, isn't that what you are dealing with/talking about?

it is possible to read the info on the chip, but you need the equipment to do it. Many chips have been "read" already, (.bin) and that data is available on the internet. (diy-efi.org gmecm has a lot of those in the FTP section IIRC)

3. only 31s

only 31s 1/2 ton status

yours confused me

i should have at least id,d mine -cmp from 1990 has 2 large chips when opened one is called calpac and the other is the prom . I was under the impression that the prom can or was swapped out for something custom.for ex, if i bought a power package from edelbrock{cam ,intake, heads}they would send me a chip for my comp to recalibrate it for the new stuff,this chip would be the prom.i believe someone could have made or burned there own and just want to find out if or what was done to this chip {this info would only be on this chip and not any where else}Thanks anyway! PS where or who could i go to do this ?

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

OK, that makes a bit more sense.

Yes, people buying "chips" (like Hypertech) was a pretty common thing to do. Now anyone that has educated themselves a bit, knows that really isn't the right way to do things. Unless there is an external ID on the chip, there is no way short of downloading and looking at the .bin to see what was done to it.

The custom stuff is quite a bit different, as usually at least the engine components are factored into the PROM as best as can be done. The more you pay for the chip, the more data you provide, the closer it will be to "perfect".

People do make their own, definitely considered to be the best route if you know what you are doing or take the time to learn, so that is a possibility. I'd expect a home made chip to have no sort of ID, short of perhaps the ID of the chip maker. (as in Atmel, Motorola, etc)

Perhaps someone with the equipment on here would be willing to help you with the PROM image if they read this, or you might be able to check the classifieds over at Thirdgen.org and see if anyone is offering that type of service.