Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Console

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big Red, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

I was bouncing ideas around my ehad yesterday, and i came up with a good idea, though im sure im not the only one to think of it. I was thinking of making a custom console out of mdf (acrylic if i can snag some from work). I was thinking of making the front slope forwards and the rear flat. it would be mostly squared off (acrylic and wood dun bend without lots o work) and seeing as im gonna change over to a black intereior (when i decide to knuckle down and paint my truck hugger orange) i figured i would just carpet it with black. anyone ever do this kinda thing? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I want to build one also, but was thinking of building a frame of mdf with the factory console lid and then fiberglassing the whole thing with cupholders in the front and rear and spaces for my tranny and oil temp gauges. For the time being I built a cupholder for the front out of mdf that holds a pair of drinks, from coffee cups to 1.5 liter waterbottles. Its a start. When I get more time I will jump into the main console, but that wont be any time soon.

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Here is the one I made. The rear is high enough to be a good armrest. I covered it with foam padding and then vinyl to match the interior. Complete with fold down cup holders in the front! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[​IMG]

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does Tuffy make anything decent for a Blazer? I really like the one I have in my Jeep. More utilitarian than the plush things you guys are talking about though...

5. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Yes Tuffy makes one for the Blazer/Jimmy, I run one, I love it.

6. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

lol, nice hijack mastiff. lol, i dun care. I didn't even think of putting guages in it. But i think i'll stick to just cup holders (front and rear) and a spot for my Cd-Changer when i get it. I measured it after work and i found that i have about a foot wide by a foot tall by roughly two feet long (if i angle the front panel) So, i know my Cd-Changer will fit. now i'll just ahfto see about those gauges. I know!!! make a custom mount on the floor or dash! YAY!!! lol. more ideas again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I used regular old plywood and then put carpet over it. There is a lot of room to work with so you can make something much more useful than the stock console. I have had mine in for a about 4 years, one of the first things I ever did to the truck. I really don't like it now though... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif