Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Dana 60 Build-up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1972Blazer, Jun 8, 2003.

1. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone is using a custom Dana60 setup from any of the big name builders like Curry, Dynatrac, DTS, Drive Train Direct or Moser Engineering? I have been pricing them and they seem to be very close to each other for a Dana60 SF, Detroit Locker, 4.56 Gears, 35 Spline Shafts, Disc Brakes and 6 lug so I can use the factory 6 lug Ralley Wheels I am so fond of. Oh by the way the pricing is between $2500.00 and $3100.00 complete and ready to bolt in. I will be building my Dana44 front at the same time with the ORD Shafts, Detroit Soft Locker, 30 Spline Shafts, CTM Universals and 4.56 gears. Thanks for all the help!

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Why spend that much on a rear when you can get a 14FF for cheap and then spend those high bucks on a D60 front?

3. 1972Blazer

I am only running 35" Tires and the terrain I wheel on just doesnt make good use of a Dana60 Front. I figure the way to go is as strong as possible in the back while running in sand, and I want to keep the 6 lug setup. I know it sounds crazy but they are real great axles for what I need. I had contemplated the 14 Bolt SF with 6 Lug but just can find one for a decent price. Between buying it and then doing everything that I will have built into the Dana60 SF it will be around the same price.

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

where have you been looking...14FF are around $200.00 (high),
    disk brake kit around $225.00, and then 8 to 6 lug adapter spacers at $180.00...then lock it for around $350.00...chack out Echobit for parts... ECHOBIT

5. 1972Blazer

I use it every day and need it to be dependable, besides most of the 4wheeling place are a distance away too. I have never believed in spacers and the place that I have had building my axles for years wants between 750 and 1500 depending on the shape and what I want done to fortify them. I can just spend a few more ducks and build it my way the first time so it will last. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experiance with any of the above mentioned Companies. I saw a great new Dana60 setup in 4 wheel and offroad about the 60R-CRD from Tera Manufacturing. It is a high pinion turned center section, but looks to be more then I need. I am just looking at a Dana60 SF as stated above. Curry who built this 60R-CRD in the Magazine wants $2,700.00 for everything I want and the disc brakes they way I want them too. I just dont think that is alot of money for piece of mind. Thanks

6. 1972Blazer

Nice Blazer Tony, where are you at in SoCal. I am off the 78 between Carlsbad and Escondido. I am finishing the paint job on my Blazer as soon as I get back in September it will be Midnight Black. It has become a serious money pit, but it has still been cheaper then a brand new truck and it will be different. Last time I checked the receipts before I left to come over here, last June I was at a staggering $20,000.00 for the parts alone. I do everthing myself minus machine-work. I tried my hand at setting up axles before and could never get them exactly like I wanted so I do farm that out now too, especially in a 4X4 that gets used every day. I cannt believe what they ask for new trucks these days!

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had contemplated the 14 Bolt SF with 6 Lug but just can find one for a decent price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep looking... they're only getting cheaper and more common.

I'm sure somebody makes a copy-cat ralley wheel in 8-lug. Then you can go with the ultra-cheap 14FF, with cheap discs, and cheap locker. If weight is a concern, 80's F250's have a semi-float D60 with 35-spline shafts.

IMO, there's too much good stuff out there to bother with custom parts. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. 1972Blazer

I have been looking for a 6 lug 14 Bolt SF out of either a Z71 or the 3/4 Ton 6 lug trucks Chevrolet built in the early 90's and it would be the right width for me too. They are not easy to find and he who has one thinks he has a piece of GOLD. The paint and putting it all back together wont be done for a few months after I get back anyways. Thanks for the advice, I will keep looking.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Why dont you just run a beef upped 12 bolt or a ford 9"? I know that both the 12 bolt and the 9" can be beefed up in comparable strength to a Dana 60. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. 1972Blazer

I was looking at beefing up the current 12 bolt but I dont think it will hold on. I am putting over 400 HP through the drivetrain and want it to hold together. Here was a price I got for the beefup of the current 12 Bolt: 750.00 for gears, bearings and seals, 500.00 for detroit locker, 250.00 forged axles, 500.00 disc brake conversion parts So I would have 2,000.00 and still have a 12 bolt that might or might not decide to explode on me. It would still be 3" narrower then the front axle, which bothers me every time I look at it. I think that a 12 bolt is fine for 33" and smaller tires but not 35" and larger. I am using 35" right now and might want to go bigger later. I have been rolling this around for a long time, sorry for the long posts.

11. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

you could always buy a 14 ff and then get 6 lug hubs instead of adapters. I have a link for them if you want it.

12. 1972Blazer

Yes could you please pass that link on. I am all about checking it out. If I am correct the ff are not as wide as the front, right? I have been told that the SF is about the same width, right? Thanks for all the help!

13. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

i know i have the link in my favorites somewhere i just cant find it right now. i will put it in here as soon as i find it. i believe a van 14 ff is the same width as the front.

14. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Well I bought a Dynatrac rear Dana 60 SF a couple of years ago for a 97 Z71 I had. It was a very nice axle, everything on the axle was new, they don't use old axles or junk axles. They build all of their axles from scratch. I say if you have the resources to spend that much on an axle, mine wound up being a little over 3400.00 to my door, than go for it you won't be disappointed. I believe that Dynatrac are the only ones that give you a 12month unlimited mileage warranty on their axles. Just my .02 worth.

Eric

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Pick up an 8 lug SF14B and get the shafts redrilled or have some new ones made. Your going to be regearing anyway so no worries on finding a "good" ratio.
    Personally if I were going to drop that much coin it would be a FF D60 not a SF.

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hey Joseph, I'm right around the corner from you in San Marcos. When you get that beast going, look me up and we'll go wheelin!

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm up in Huntington Beach...so 20k...nice and I though I put a lot in my truck... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

hey, you should check out this club...were in your back yard.. socalbigdawgs

19. 1972Blazer

That sounds great, I want to get back and finish the restoration, I have been overseas for 12 months so far. I am due to return in September, then I will get going on the Blazer again. I still have alot to do. Maybe you saw my Blazer before I tore it apart for the restoration. It used to be a Dull Black 1972 with 4" lift and 35" BFG MT on stock looking Ralleys. I drove it every day for almost 2 years before I tore it apart. It is getting painted Black and will have a Black and White Houndstooth Interior, I know a pretty bold color for a 30 year old 4X4. I have at least 200 hours in the body alone right now. I had the body off the frame at Hot Rods and Custom Stuff to be Media Blasted, They did a great job. The body on this Blazer is one of the best I have ever owned, just small repairs (all welding) and it has never been hit! There has just been so much blocking and sanding to make sure it is perfectly straight, my friend and I are doing all the work on the body. He is a great painter! I did the frame, springs, bushings, brake lines, axles, drive shafts, drive train, steering and brakes while the body was off. I must have $1,000.00 just in bolts on the frame alone. Everything will be restored when it rolls back out, I even put over $4,000.00 in parts in the engine alone. I am looking into either a 23 spline female SM465 or a TH400 conversion so it can hold the power, I dont trust the TH350 that it has right now. It may be a little to much for a 4X4 but what the Hell. I wanted something to romp in the sand and then drive home, a pretty lofty goal if you ask me. I figure it is still cheaper then a new 4X4, and it is exactly the way I want it! I will look into joining the club when I get back!

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no doubt dynatrac etc make good axles... but I just dont see the point in getting one unless ur rich and $ is no object. I got a ff14b + D60 for $1k... and just had a local shop rebuild the thing and swap in the gears/detroit that I wanted. Redid the brakes/steering myself.. threw on a diff guard, and now all is good. Final bill was definitely less than one of them bling bling d60s from dyna etc. <shrug> like i said, if ur rich and it doesnt matter, go ahead and get one of them spendy axles, otherwise a build up of a used one is prolly the best way to go...

j