Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom dash/instrument cluster

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mdevlin, Feb 9, 2004.

1. mdevlin

mdevlin Registered Member

I have been working on a never ending rebuild on my 84 blazer. The biggest piece (in my mind) involved ripping all the wiring and the fuse box out, and installing a snazzy new painless wiring fuse box/wiring harness kit.

The problem i am running into is making the new setup not look like a hack job. I got all new autometer gauges to fix the broken non-working stock ones that came with the blazer, and I decided to run a painless toggle switch panel instead of using the keyed ignition on the steering column, so basically...

I am trying to figure out the best way to mount all the new autometer gauges, and the switch panel. It seems to me I am going to have to fabricate out of sheet metal a whole new dash, because modifying the stock instrument cluster to fit the autometer gauges ended up looking horrible. I basically dremel'd out all the holes in the instrument cluster to fit the larger non-circuit board style gauges, and cut a face plate that screwed over the plastic instrument cluster panel to make it look a little less messy, but it still looks crappy.

What I am envisioning is a whole new dashboard made out of sheet metal, with the automater guages bolted right down to the sheet metal, and then 2 hole cut out for a radio and the 6 toggle switch control panel. It seems "simple enough" but I am having trouble figuring out how to tie in this new panel to the curvy stock dashboard. Has anyone done any other custom dash jobs like this? any ideas/comments would be appreciated, this is pretty much the last step in a going on 3 year buildup, and I am kinda stuck in a nice deep hole I dug for myself.

BTW: my backup plan was to figure out something to screw into the exisiting instrument cluster location, and put all the autometer gauges on that. the use the hole for the A/C controls for the 6 switch panel, and use the radio hole for the radio, and call it a day, but it just seems like that isn't the best way...

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This a little overkill! AutoMeter Setup! Bling, Bling! [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    This is TWEETYSUARUS's dash. all custom dash.
    I have autometer guages, but am making panels to put them in that will fit in the stock bezel. for a more stock look. I don't have any completed pics. I can still use the stock dash pad with mine.

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

What would you do with the a/c and heat vents? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

5. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

What I am doing is very similar to the first set of pics. But i had to move my guages around. I couldn't use the 2 guages on the far left. My roll bar tubing blocked them. Si am using the smaller 3 3/8 speedo/tach and putting guages on the right side also. I am still using all the stock heater parts. I don't think tweetysyarus cares about the heater.

7. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What I am doing is very similar to the first set of pics. But i had to move my guages around. I couldn't use the 2 guages on the far left. My roll bar tubing blocked them. Si am using the smaller 3 3/8 speedo/tach and putting guages on the right side also. I am still using all the stock heater parts. I don't think tweetysyarus cares about the heater.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifI have a heater and defroster! Works really great too! Just didn't want it blowin in my face!
    Bill