Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Dash pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 13, 2005.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Here's the new dash/gauge cluster I'm making for the truck. What do ya think? :D
    [​IMG]

Hopefully it'll look like this when it's done. I photo-chopped the gauges, I haven't bought them yet.
    [​IMG]

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

dood thats sweet!! :saweet: :saweet:

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Lookin good. :grind:

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

man the sun is gunna be reflecting off of that. lol

looks good lets see it inside

6. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

question

I got this question, so I figured I'd just post it for everybody.

Well, I had some 1/8" (I think) dimond plate my dad gave me lying around and one piece was almost the exact size of the dash. And since nearly all my gauges are busted it got me thinking.

So, I took some measurements and cut it, then stuck it in a vice and bent it in the right spots, then I looked up some gauges (egauges.com) and found some I liked and bought a circular-hole cutter bit for my drill and cut the holes. I'd recomend a drill press for this if you have one, the hand-held drill sucked. Also I never use the little hole where the nicer trucks have a vent above the heater controls, so I decided to stick a couple gauges there.

And now I'm just smoothing it out. I still need to cut the excess out of the heater control area, hopefully I can do that soon when i get a little cash and buy a cut-off tool or a real grinder, the air powered die-grinder just doesn't take off enough.

And that would bring me to where I am now. The finished dash will have more switches and such, but that's basically it. :D

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Looks very similar to what I'd like to do!

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about doing something custom like that. You have inspired me!!

9. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i think the dash in the first picture looks better. kinda looks like a face on the right side. deffinatly looks good. i might follow suit here shortly.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I did my gauges similar to that about 5 years ago, but not using diamond plate. I painted the aluminum panel black too, I don't need the thing reflecting at me. I went for the 5" primary gauges instead of the smaller ones, and the 2 5/8" accessory ones instead of the 2". Mounting the gauges is the easy part, doing a good job of wiring it nice and clean and patching it into a wiring harness so you can still remove the panel, that's the hard part... Still, not a terribly difficult mod, just time consuming.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=475&stc=1

I've since added a digital Nordskog Stoichiometer on the right side above the vent controls, the switch for the ARB and a pressure gauge for the onboard air on the lower left.

My biggest problem is that the gauges point at my belly, which has no eyeballs so it has a hard time reading the gauges. I have a plan to aim the gauges at my face, where my eyeballs are located, but have had no time to implement the plan.

BTW, my Autometer Pro-Comp liquid filled gauges lasted 4 years before they started leaking, so um, don't buy those.:crazy:

dash1.jpg

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm running the same gauges as you.. and i just got a Nordskog digital clock for my console for x-mas... :woot:

i was afraid of the bad angle, so i'm adding angle tubes to the backside of the panel... though difficult, i think its a tad easier for me because the dash is made of composite fiberglass... much more forgiving and workable than a metal.. :grind: pics coming soon, its about 1/2 done.. i'll be going black too...

sorry, to hear about the liquid-filled's leaking.. i only run a fuel pressure in that, i'll have to keep an eye on that...

12. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Man that is exactly like the setup I am going with this coming May when I redo my gauges except I will be spraying the diamond plate with a gun metal grey bedliner to match the floor. But I definitely want to go with the bigger 5" and 2 5/8" gauges after seeing them installed. Good job on your setup shaggy, looks clean.

Remington

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

looks similar to mine!

I have a similar "stock car" dash in my 74 K20 the previous owner made,with a stewart warner speedo and mis matched other gauges(fuel,oil press,water temp,vacuum,volts)--it looks nice,but the wiring behind it is a nightmare!--he was good at fabrication,but an electrician he ain't!!
    You might see it for sale here soon,as I am going to part the truck out,and I hope to get working and payup so I can post on all the boards here--getting tired of being a lowly "newbie!"(and not seeing the BOTD!)..:crazy:

14. xanthias

xanthias 1/2 ton status

You guys that are doing the angle tubes and other solutions for viewing angle, please post up your tech on it.

I like the diamond-plate, but I would powder-coat it or something similar to cut down on glare...otherwise, I really like it as a simple, low-buck solution that will look good when you are done...

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm gonna do a sum up post with a bunch of pics for mine... honestly, what i'm doing with the angle tubes is pretty advanced glasswork.. but i'd be glad to talk anyone thru it if they like it... i should make a mold and sell em... :thinking:

16. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

i am planning on doing that same thing only powder coating it black...something a little differnt:thumb:

17. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

18. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

That'll look great,you're givin' me ideas.....:D

19. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

I think it looks good but will definately be bright in the sunlight. Personally I am looking at building a wrap-around dash for my crewcab with bucket seats in the front. Something similar to some RVs I have seen. Basically something that will continue the panel coming out from the radio/ac panel and extend down into a center console. I like the big flat rocker switches from the RVs as well plus plenty of room for extra guages.