Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom/fabricating Center Console

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by khotmer, Oct 16, 2003.

1. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

I have most of the parts to finish my tranny swap. I have a B&M Sport shifter on the way for my newly rebuild th350. And I need to patch a few holes in the cover pan (hump) for the transmission as it originally was for a 4 speed/ 203 combo in it and I am replacing a 700/208 combo that was put in by the previous owner. Is has a 6” hole in is for the shifter and he hacked the pan to fin the 208 shifter in. In addition, the PO hacked the dash to put in a radio and cut the hole an inch to big leaving me with no good way to install a radio. I attempted to a few months ago but the radio was stolen and they screwed up my bezel and I really don’t feel like messing around with the factory location. I have Decided to try my hand at fabricating a center console that would lift the sport shifter to a reasonable height and add additional space for gauges and witches etc. I plan on building the skeleton from rebar then using screen wired to the bottom side of the skeleton I can use expandable foam to create a shell. Shape the foam to the desired dimensions and cover it with fiberglass w/ reinforced mounting points with metal. I think I will end up covering in spray on liner but a smooth finish painted to match might look cool too. I have a lot of ideas that I will try to incorporate into this and will try to get parts from the junk yard like cd holder for arm rest storage like in newer vehicles, cig lighter and try, space for radio, space for CB, additional gauges, light switches, etc………When I start I will be taking pictures of everything. Any input would be cool or ideas ….

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Dude have you been sneeking into my head. That is the same thing I am planning on doing all the way down to using a fold up cd storage armrest. I still dont know what to do about making a mold I'm interester in your expanda foam idea tell me more. I have learned that using chicken wire as inforcement would be a better idea than using rebar if I understand your idea with the rebar. Then yes use sheet metel or tin plates to reinforce mounting points. Sandwich your wire and tin plates with glass then rivet it all together. I have seen a console simular to what you are talking about with the lockable radio mount made for J**ps I think by husky. You might check it out for ideas. I dont know where to get it but I planned on covering it with something like the bed liner only it is a rubbery type of finish. Kind of like what Craftsman wrences are covered with.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was gonna build one out of 3/4 plywood /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was gonna build one out of 3/4 plywood /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Use MDF instead of plywood, it will last much longer and hold together better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

MDF is what??

6. MDF=Medium Density Fiberboard

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Dammit I just built a console out of 3/8" plywood. Looks like [darn] lol I'm a horrible woodworker... I'll have pics soon.

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

LOL ya bunch of possers, I'm making mine out of 1/4 armor plate, sealed sub box...bring it awn /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

A poser....yeah prabably! for now. Im just learning everything for now and trying to get the parts i need to be a true off roader....My 1/2 ton stuff will have to do for now.....anyway. Here are some more detailed thoughts...

Chicken wire would work too but I like the Rebar it is easy to bend and makes a more uniform look. IT will look like a rib cage over the center area. I'll just tack it in place. g screen or smal chicke wire wired from the bottom allows you to place the foam around the rebar. and i can build the rebar up like a miniture version of the Hummer consoles for gauges and such. it is really hard to explain but kind of easy to do (this part anyway). Once it is covered in foam to I will shape it using a knife and files (greatter type) to get the basic shape. Once i have that done i will find out where i need to use the metal sheet for the radio face, CB face, mounding points and other misc stuff. I plan on counter sinking these areas. apply the glass release over all of it and then apply 2 layers of glass cloth and cover with resin. then fit the sheet metal into place and cover with 2 - 3 more layers of glas and resin. finish it with the fiber coat/fill to smooth it out and make final adjustments to shape.

I used to make custom amp racks, speaker enclosures like this. It gives that build in look. thats a basic run down. it will be more intailed as i will be building the arm rest, storage, and other little things along the way that i am sure will present some issues. but i will try and document everything when i start. It will be my winter project and I hope to start next month.....

10. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

Builing one out of wook can be done with great results. The reason i am doing it in fiber is ...
    1. I want to be difficult!
    2. It give a little more flexability in shape and size than wood unless you are a master carpenter and havee a greatwood shop ( i dont )
    3. Weight! I want to make it removable if i ever have to drop the trans again.... this will be able to pop out with little effort.
    4. I like the hummer look
    5. If i can build a decent mold i might be able to produce these for other members..... fairly easy...

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I;ll be the 1st to buy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

I made one out of a big ammo can. It turned out pretty well (for a ghetto mod). I'll post a picture...
    Ernest