Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom fabrication costs for rollbar '79 Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Apr 13, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Looking for a rollbar for my '79 Jimmy, and was wondering what I can expect to pay for a custom rollbar? Have any of you tried the Smittybuilt? I just want to make sure that those in the back seat are covered, but paying a lot of $$ isn't going to work right now. Any ideas are appreciated!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If your budget is a bit tight (like most of us...) you might check into the sw racecars cage kit for the K5. You won't get a cage that hugs every interior contour, but you won't break the bank either. They sell a 10 point cage kit for K5's...

http://www.swracecars.com/pdf/CATpg16.PDF

The 10 point is pn# 11-1519 and runs about $250. You will need to notch and fit the parts, as well as do all the welding though.

HTH

Rene

3. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rene. Minor adjustments and welding are fine. Have you used this cage? How does the back of the cage work with passengers in the back seat? Looks like it comes close back there. Are these pretty safe? Obviously no one plans on rolling, but in case of a slow speed roll, would these hold up ok? Thanks again. I'm new to the sport, so any insight is appreciated!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No, I didn't use the S&W kit. My buddy and I built my cage from scratch using a JD2 bender. Not the most budget friendly option either, but what i wanted in a cage wasn't available in kit form.

The S&W kit should do a fine job protecting you in a slow speed roll, and several guys here have used these kits.

Rene

5. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

custom bent 4 pt cage for the inside $70 bucks
    2 points for the rear $ $35

Time and labor for the work= free

1.75" hole saw $11
    Pro-tools bender $700ish
    Welder $750

Is the S&W cage or the Smittybuilt cage worth it... Hell Yes! How many times does it need to save your life? Once! Is it still worth it? YES!