Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUSTOM FABRICATION QUESTION / HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, May 12, 2003.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have always wanted to own my own 4wd custom shop. I am thinking about going to school at Wyotech and taking the chassis fabrication and high performance engine building class. Then working for a few years and take some buisness classes until I have what it takes to open up a shop. The question I have for all of you fellow K5ers is: will it be worth it? Making custom suspensions, fabricating things, making rollcages, boxing frames, making tube frames, solid axle swaps, things of that nature. Can some of you help me by putting up some websites of shops of this nature that are here in CA, so I have an idea of if I would even make it if I opened up a custom shop. It seems theres a lot of trick suspensions out there, and not only with trail rigs. All help would be greatly appreciated because I am very serious about this. Thank You
    Greg

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A few years back I considered going in a similar direction, but right now I feel that the market is oversaturated with "fabricators". Everybody with a welder and tube bender is calling themselves a fab shop, so you're going to need to put something out there to really show that you can build some quality junk. A fine excuse to build an ultimate rig. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What you are thinking about is actually a direction I am looking to head, but I am unsure of where to start for the most part. I am going to work in a sheetmetal shop this summer, and take welding this fall at school. I am also considering a few classes at UTI since I live 1 mile from the Phoenix Campus. Before UTI though I may take some general automotive classes at the Community College. This will give me 2 areas to fall back into if the Custom Fab doesn't workout or starts very slow.

I have also considered opening a 4x4 shop that has Fab capabilities also. This would some of the focus off fab and possibly allow better oportunity for success.

Alot of the "offroad" shops in Phoenix cater to the posers. I would like to be a shop to supply posers, but also the hardcore guys too. More of a full line shop. Then if business allowed could start to focus more on the hardcore crowd then the posers. (but posers are where the real money is)

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Im not talkng baout getting a welder and tube bender and being a "fabricator".
    I am pondering the idea of going to wyotech and taking the chassis fabrication they offer. I dont think you would have to take a few auto classes at the local jc because they teach you all that in the school. I know I wouldnt need to take auto classes before going to a school, with be taking 3 years of auto and working in the trade for over a year. I agree with you that posers where the money is, and I have the same goals as you to do custom work for all those show rigs out there as long as the hardcore wheelers. Its just I always wanted to own my own shop and its coming time to make the decision.