Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom front springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by k5texan, Aug 6, 2002.

1. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

i was wondering what a set of your custom front springs would run with about 4 inches of lift.
    thanks

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Front and rear, approx $950.00. Lift height is basically your call but we rarely go over about 6" of lift or about 15" of ride height. (measured from the bumpstop bracket to the top of the axle tube in the front suspension) Your 4" height will work great.

3. k5texan

k5texan 1/2 ton status

thanks

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I saw those Alcan's put to use this weekend and watched BOSS bend the mainleaf in his rear pack when he backed his shackle into a rock. Here is a pick.

[​IMG]

5. Stephen

Backing into a rock with the shackle is usually bad. Kind of like turning left and backing up with GM steering on a front end. Guaranteed to make a taco of your main leaf.

We should also be clear on the lineage of these springs: Alcan really has little to do with them. They build to my specs and are only responsible for defects in workmanship or material. And incidently we don't have problems with either. Since they're completely to ORD specs, settling and other design or performance issues are our problem, not Alcan's.

6. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Stephen,

Can you elaborate on the "backup while turned left making a taco of the frong spring"?

I am now riding on my second sagging skyjacker (front left) and am very dismayed. Could this be something caused by backing while turned? I am frequently backing trailers with tight turns.

Steve

7. Stephen

The GM steering relies on the left front spring to counter the steering forces and make the tires actually turn. If the draglink is pulling forward (turning left) you have a compressive load on the spring and a piece of flatbar with a curve in it (leaf spring's main leaf) is not very good at resisting these stresses, so it bends. Backing up only makes it worse since the tire will often be trying to climb something and that adds more compressive load to the spring's front section. Ask Fox about this, his Rancho's still have a kink in them from this problem.
    As for your backing up trailers, I don't think it would be a problem unless you're backing up in some really hairy conditions.