Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom front tube bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Has anyone custom built a front tube winch bumper that has some pics? I dont want the pre-runner style, I want to use like 3" tube, and incorporate a winch mount into it. I wouldnt mind using the Warn mount that I already have, and incorporate the tubes with that. It will have a much better mounting system than it does from the company tho!

Thanks

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

In my opinion 3" and prerunner don't go together. Most prerunner bumpers are 1 3/4". Of course you could make a prerunner style out of 3" if you were so inclined. Here is a shot of mine. I have no provisions ( or desire) for a winch mount but it could be added easy enuff. Check out some 4WD magazines, there are lots of ideas out there.
    www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I actually said I dont want the prerunner style. I find them kinda useless. Sorta like the guys that put brush guard types on the SUVs that never go offroad.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

4. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

They have to have the bumpers. If they didnt their SUV's would get ruined becuase they try to drive them like they are cars and end up hitting things with them.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

5. COYOTE35

COYOTE35 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of trying to fab a bumper for my ride. Any suggestions? I was thinking of a tube style but it doesn't look right, although S.E.C. Armor has one thats not too bad. What is the size of the mounting plate off of your old mount (I saw the photo-looks like it hurt). How close to the grill did warn mount the winch?

Whats wrong with big and wide?

6. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Hey Thumper, will you keep us posted on this? I'm interested in doing some kind of mount system for my winch. At the auto parts store, they said there is only one bumper that Warn makes that will fit my '78, but they want $400.00 for it, and I'm not sure I want it after reading your other post. I was looking for a cheaper way out. At the deer lease, there is a K5 with 3" bumpers on it. I haven't looked closesly enough at it to see about space for a winch mount. I'll see it again next weekend. BUT, if you rig something up, will you let us know, because I'm interested in doing the same thing. Thanks.

<font color=red>_____________________________________________________</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>I'm hooked on gin and tonics like yo mamma's hooked on phonics!</font color=blue>

7. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

up in MN many guys put brush gaurds on thier trucks that don't go off-road for protection from deer. We try and not hit them, of course, but it is a relatively cheap preventative measure. It really minimizes the damage from soft impacts like that. [​IMG]

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    --Thomas Jefferson

8. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

I've got a tube bumper on mine. You can check out the pics below. No winch on it yet but it is an option I am greatly considering. I'm sure I'll have to rig up a mount for it too.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

9. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

My buddy has just a box made of 3/8" steel for the winch. I'm sure could easily design a tube bumper around the box.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual>http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual</a>

10. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Well, don't I feel like a no readin' bonehead!! Sorry Thumper...I'll try to read a little more accurately in the future...[​IMG]

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

11. blazin72

blazin72 1/2 ton status

Thumper
    I sent some pics of the front bumper on my blazer,
    Me and a buddy built,
    Sent them via e-mail.
    When I get the pics of the rear bumper I will send them.
    see ya

Blazin 72
    1972 K5 350 vortec, 4 inch lift, with nothing else important.