Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Fuel Rail questions

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by 1979jimmy350, Mar 20, 2007.

1. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

I am going to need to make a custom fuel rail for one of my projects, where is a good place to find the parts that i will need for this? What is the best way to go about making a custom fuel rail? will a stock style fuel pressure regulator sense boost and add more fuel for it?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know what all you have already, but here is all I could think of:

http://www.customefis.com/portefi.html

hopefully much cheaper if you have most of the components already. But I wouldn't bet on it, I think (custom) fuel rails are about the single most expensive component on an EFI build, short of an aftermarket plenum of some sort. :(

Haven't seen any "build your own" setups, looking at GM's TPI fuel rails, I can see why replicating something like that is expensive, although most seem to just use braided line to join the rails, instead of GM's hard line with o-rings.

What are you working on?

3. 1979jimmy350

im working on a 4.3 v6, im trying to replace the crappy single injector with 6 spiders off it with normal style injectors, becasue the stock injector can not handle much power and i am adding a turbo to the engine

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why not just get the whole system for a Syclone/Typhoon. They are a direct bolt on. Probably be cheaper and easier that trying to adapt CFI. Or mabe you can adapt the Syclone fuel rails to your needs. IIRC Syclones were MPFI not CFI like the NAd 4.3

No the stock FPR will not sense boost. You need a boost referenced adjustable FPR.

5. dyeager535

I think I've got a 4.3 fuel rail in my garage. Grabbed it from the wrecking yard because I needed the clips that hold the injectors. Have the injectors still as well. (wouldn't even think of using them without testing)

No idea what application this came from, but I'm sure it's a GM part, and the layout of the injectors (each bank is a single injector up front, then closely paired ones in the rear, like the first three or last three cylinders of a SBC) lead me to believe it was a 4.3 piece. Admittedly I have no idea what a 2.8L injector rail looks like, but the more I think about it the more I think that's what this is...IIRC it's just a single rail down the middle with the six injectors in a "V" pattern, which would be too narrow to fit the width of a 4.3/SBC, unless the injectors were located aways back from the cylinder, which seems unlikely.

I've got a 4.3L ECM you can have if you need it. Don't know much about it (whether it even works or not) but looks good, and this is what was said about it when I asked:

"that ECM was used in 1992 S10 S15 2wd pickup trucks with the 2.5 4-banger.

The 647 ECM was also used in 1992 Astro Vans, Safari vans and S10/S15 2wd & T10/T15 4wd trucks with the 4.3 V6s"

I didn't get a case with it, but it will fit in the standard ECM boxes. In actuality it's only half the length of other ECM PCB's, so you could cut the box down to fit the PCB if you wanted to, for space saving or fit it somewhere. Dunno about applicability for boosted apps though.

6. 1979jimmy350

I would like to keep the stock look of the CPI engine and sy/ty intakes are not cheap

Would the stock sy/ty FPR be boost referenced?

7. 1979jimmy350

Could you get me a picture of that fuel rail?

as for the ECM i am going with mega squirt so i wond need any ECMs for this project but thanks for the offer

i am trying to do this to my intake
    cpi.jpg

that way it looks basicly stock besides a little extra tubing under th hood

cpi.jpg

8. dyeager535

I'll try to get a pic tonight!

9. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

10. dyeager535

11. 1979jimmy350

thats a weird lookign fuel rail, my 60 v6 does not even look like that, thanks for the offer but i have no use for that style of rail

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd try a stock regulator first. I am certain a Sy/Ty one is boost referenced, but I know on the Mitsus I work on, all their regulators are boost referenced. You can simply apply pressure to them with a hand pump and watch the pressure increase. But Mitsu does sell Turbo cars.

13. dyeager535

This info should be over on thirdgen.org, or could probably be found by asking there, as long as it wasn't mentioned what vehicle it was going in.

14. 1979jimmy350

yea, the turbo that im using is actually a mitsus turbo its what was stock on the s-10 syclone