Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Interior?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by demon, Jun 6, 2002.

1. demon

demon Registered Member

Can someone please give me a link to some pics or web address to a company that might give me some ideas for custom interior work on my '78 Blazer? Im doing a complete tear down and rebuild and I want to do something with the awful lookin Dashboard. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

hehehe, dashboard! good luck! I have been trying to find links to custom dash websites and all i get are dash covers. i did come across one site that makes diamond plated dashes but i think they were only for jeeps. if you want something custom i think your best bet is to get out a tape measure and find some metal, else take it to a local shop. i am sure any body shop would love to make a custom dash at a pretty hefty price. As for me I think i am going to cut a piece of diamond plate to fit and do a custom dash of my own. Some members on here have custom dash set up, do a search on custom dashboards over the last month or two and i am sure you will find some examples.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Maybe this is a little too custom:
    www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1998/11/inter.jpg

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Personnaly I don't think the dash and it's lay out is all that bad. The mid to late 80's trucks the dash pad and facsha were a bit different and I like them a little better than the 70;s. Unless you have been in a few of these trucks its not obvious the dash pad is shapped different. I would think it would be an easy swap. The other alternative is to do something like the link showed and go for a pre runner style dash with aftermarket gages. There are some dress up items available such as billit instrument face and trim pannel for the passenger side insert. They also have matching for the door pannels. These are available for the 80's trucks and door pannels not sure if there is a set available for the 70's trucks.
    The rear side pannels are easy enough to make. Just use the old pannels as a templet and cut some new ones out of 1/4 ply or 1/4 MDF. Find you local auto trim shop and see if they will sell you the fabric. Some 3M automotive spray adheisive and 1/4 inch staples and ta da. You can get fancy and cut out some scroll or raised pannels to dress up the sides and cover them in a complimenting color. It's not hard if your handy with a saw and have paitence. Not even very expensive except for replacement dash pads and door pannels.

6. demon

demon Registered Member

Hmm the dashboard in that example looked ok, but it looks a little "Knight Rider" like. A few too many 007 switches and stuff for my taste /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Maybe I will stick with stock, is there a STOCK replacement kit or part that I can get if parts of it are cracked?

7. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

You could always do what me and Seventy4blazer are doing. Tear it out and build one from scratch. Its a little bit more work but it is tailored to your liking.

8. demon

demon Registered Member

Yeah that was my idea from the beginning, however I wouldnt even know where to start. Im not that artistic, however Im good at following instructions. Maybe you could document what you guys are doing and make a step by step sheet with some pics /forums/images/icons/wink.gif hehe I dont know what Im gonna do just yet, all I know is my interior has seem better days. I just wanted something to kick it up a notch or two.

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Damn those are sweet! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Why'd they put a depth finder in that truck...those tires arent tall enough to take it fishin /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

as far as i recall SUMMIT and JEGS both sell alumin dash panels and floor and door panels for drag cars.
    and ive heard and seen a few trucks use them for theyre dashs as far as i know its a matter of measuring,trimming and drilling.but id call and ask the tech line.
    goodluck

13. demon

demon Registered Member

JEGS? Got a link to their website?

14. 350S10NJ

350S10NJ Registered Member

15. demon

demon Registered Member

lol thanks

16. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Lowrance = GPS

17. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

My dash is all cracked and shitty looking. I dont mind the looks of the dash I just want a new dashboard without cracks. What can I do? I have seen the ones that fit over a dashboard but I dont know how well they will fit or look. Is there a place I can just order a new dashboard and then put it in?

18. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

LMC should have the factory replacement dash top.

19. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

i have redone my interior by bringing the outside colors of the truck inside. that one reason i like my first gen is the dash is all painted the same as the outside. my colors where blue,white,and black. so i covered the seats in blue and white and put the black on the floor. it livened up the interior and made it more enjoyable to ride in. the blue RCI 5-points harnesses add alot to. have some pics /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

20. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you can repair the cracks and then buy a cover for it.
    some custom dash cover places out here in Yuma AZ do nice work.
    grant