Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ruff_ryda_420, May 22, 2003.

1. Ruff_ryda_420

Ruff_ryda_420 Registered Member

i may be aquiring a project very soon, a 78 K5 frame. what i plan to do (if i get it) is to put a fullsise truck cab on it, and a custom flat deck, then later on custom chop a sheetmetal bed to fit the K5 frame. i'm sure it's been done before, but does anyone have any pics, or more importantly, any advice?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hello first of all welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Yes it has been done before maybe search the members rides area for "flatbeds" or something. Second please fill out your profile so we can help you.

-Brian

3. Nitrodrip350

Nitrodrip350 1/2 ton status

"Ruff_ryda_420" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. Ruff_ryda_420

got a problem! j/k, hehe

anyways, i got some more info on it, 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear, they guy will throw in a 4 speed (i'll assume it's a SM465) and a NP205 for another $100. i'm not sure if it has driveshafts or not, but if it doesn't, stock driveshafts should work right? i'm planning on using a SBC in it. i'd like to use a similar year of cab, round head lights. they look better.

i'll try and fill out my profile soon.

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Where in Alberta are you at, brother?

Welcome to CK5!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Savage

Savage Registered Member

Far out, 'nother Albertan, welcome aboard, I don't post often, tend to lurk lots, this is a great site with lots of good info, as Canmore said, what part of our fine province do you hail from? I am up in the NW quarter. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

7. Ruff_ryda_420

well it's good to meet some relativly local guys then, i'm located in lacombe, about 20 minutes north of red deer.

anyways, me and the old man are gonna head out and have a look at that frame tommorow, then maybe stop by pick a part, and see what they have for spare parts /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

Hey savage, I have an identical blazer to what you have. Mine's still some baby sh!t tan, but it's got the same winch, front bumper, grille and apparently rear bumper as yours... It's a 91 blazer also...

I had a catastrophic charging system failure last weekend and all of the wiring went up in flames at 280,000. Looks l've got some work cut out for me in the future. Got anymore pics of that ride?

9. Savage

Savage Registered Member

Howdy MR4WD; I do have a few other photos I will dig around & see what I can find... I have a very good old buddy up in Ft McMurray, answers to "Trooper" heavy in the bike scene up there, anyhow he just bought my old Jeep CJ, if you want someone to wheel with once you fix your Blazer, he is well set up including a Warn M12000 & Detroit TrueTrac's f&r. It's Faded Red with a soft top & soft doors.
    The Blazer is primarily my wifes grocery getter/mini van crusher although it does see mild offroad use on family picnics and such.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif My wife won't let me get too wild in modifing the K1500 because it's her daily driver, at a minimum it would need 16.00x35 TSL's & a 4" lift to have much hope out on the trails around here. Lots of muskeg, not much for bottom in the mud holes. If I were to go that big I would have to swap to 12 bolt diffs & upgrade to Detroit Locker rear/Auburn, Eaton or Detroit TrueTrac front as well, so we will continue to run it as is for now. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your cj around here. The 10 bolts you have in your truck are actually stronger than any stock 12 bolt. I THINK they are 31 spline, which started in 87 on the 10 bolts. You've got the toughest half-ton diffs around, and they would probably work will with 35's (since you have 3.73's). I wouldn't invest anybody into the front diff, since it IS still a 10 bolt, but go with spicer joints at least. For the rear, a detroit would still tend to approach the upper limits for OUR type of terrain and wheeling, but it is still a great choice. I got the short end of the stick with 3.08's, but no worries; I have a Dana 60 and 14 bolt both with 5.13's, discs and detroits in them. For now I'll wheel with 39.5's, but then I'll upgrade to 44" boggers, which I have on my other truck. When the boggers go on, so does a TBI 496. I'll probably swap my fully manual 400 and 32 spline 205 in it at that point as well.

Here's some vids of my other 4x4:

http://www3.telus.net/public/mhepburn/8000.wmv

http://www3.telus.net/public/mhepburn/water.wmv

http://www3.telus.net/public/mhepburn/bounce.wmv

http://www3.telus.net/public/mhepburn/skeg1.wmv

And here's a pic:

[​IMG]

We should go wheeling some time! And hopefully you can dig up those pics soon,
    Chad.

11. Savage

Savage Registered Member

Ha, ha, all that good park'n & you had to find a rock. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Your truck flexes pretty well!

I am running a late '80's 10 bolt in the front of my new Jeep CJ too, will have to check the spline count, because I can't recall off hand, I converted the 10 bolt to 5 bolt 5 1/2 center to match the Ford 9" in the rear, by using Chevy Calipers & Ford D44 Rotors & hubs. Not worrying about breaking it though, since the whole Jeep wieghs less than 3500#. Can't commit to a time yet but I will definitely be across to Ft Mac to go wheeling in the future will have to stay in touch.

/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

dang man yur front end is TWISTED but the rear just seems to be along for the ride. usually its the other way around on these trucks. what are u runnin in the rear?

13. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    dang man yur front end is TWISTED but the rear just seems to be along for the ride. usually its the other way around on these trucks. what are u runnin in the rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

56" long 4" springs. 4" blocks, 4" shackle flip. 3" body lift. When I drive at obstacles from head on, the front stays pretty flat and the rear gets all up into the fenders. You'd think the front and rear springs would share the flex, but nope.

Either way, one tire's 48" in the air and the other 3 are planted with 25 psi in all the tires. That rock was 5 minutes from my house, but now I think it's gone from the ice on the river.

[​IMG]

I'll have to extend my shock mounts. The pass side shock bottomed out while the driver side was fully extended.

[​IMG]

Here's one with the front shocks not connected and the front driveshaft torn out of it.

Either way, you can still see overloads in the back. Those are my "bump stops". They stop the rear axle from coming up too high.. I've had problems with jumping it, and piling up the d-shaft into the t-case... I went through an awful lot of driveshafts last year, and part of the problem was not twisting the splines off any of the longer travel slip yokes. I went through 3 - 14 bolt axle shafts last year *and a bunch of Dana 60 shafts*

Here's a .183 wall drivshaft in the front
    [​IMG]

14. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Wow, you have some seriously sweet movies!