Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Lift Springs--Don't happen to do this do you stephen? ;)

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by willyswanter, Apr 2, 2002.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Custom Lift Springs--Don\'t happen to do this do you stephen? ;)

Well, for the last 3 weeks I have been trying to get in contact with National Spring and Alcan spring with no luck. I've tried phone, fax, email, etc. Anyway, I'm doing a solid axle swap on my 1996 Chevy crew cab long bed 1 ton pickup and I have all the stuff but the springs/forums/images/icons/mad.gif. Anyway, I need a front 8" pack and a rear 7" pack. The front is standard 73-87 style front pack. But, you don't happen to have a special company that you sub this stuff out to do you? I am going crazy trying to get some springs for this thing so I can get to work on it. STOCK SUCKS!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Or, do you happen to know of any pre-made springs that have the 1 ton rating for the rear so I can still keep my load carrying capacity and a hd front spring to carry the 454 and the reunel winch bumper? Sorry for the length but I'm going nuts and oh yeah, I got the shackle flip and the xover steering parts like 4 days after ordering and I thank you very much for that and having such a great product.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: Custom Lift Springs--Don\'t happen to do this do you stephen? ;)

Our customs are spec'd out by me and built by Alcan and I agree, they're really busy. They're going to be more suited to working out your rear springs as far as weight rating. I would suggest you look into an airbag setup for the rear to carry the big load and use a bit softer spring for the ride quality.
    I could help out some on the design of the springs (although I usually don't work with lifts that tall) but they're still going through the same place you were going anyway. I'd say keep trying, not much else to do.

3. willyswanter

Well maybe you can help on this then. The turck is a 96 as stated before and the SFA conversion brackets add 3" of lift to the front already. I am running bushwacker cutout flares as well. What height spring pack would you recomend? You think a 6" would give me enough clearance? I was told by ORU that I needed at least an 8" but I've seen the trucks they build and they are as tall as they can make them. I dont' want that. I want just high enough to clear the tires but keep the cg as low as possible.

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

might help to say that you're trying to clear 39.5's.....

5. willyswanter

Oh, uh, yeah that helps/forums/images/icons/wink.gif.

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I haven't dealt with the IFS trucks enough to give you good info on the tire clearance. I typically recommend going as low as possible but don't know what else to tell you. It also depends on other factors like amount of fender trimming you're willing to do, etc. I would guess that around 8" of lift would work OK with minimal hassles overall. That's just a guess.

7. willyswanter

Well, I'll be running cut out flares with the tires. And I want it as low as possible but still having enough clearance. And I would hate to spend all that cash on some custom springs and get them and the truck not clear with a 6" or get an 8" and have to tall. I'm going down to ORU to pick up my sfa kit, sway bar, and axle and I'm going to discuss it with them sicne they have done a ton of these trucks. But I think there concept is why get a 6" spring when you can get a 12" for just a bit more/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.