Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom made EFI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jan 6, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone ever looked into compiling their own EFI setup? I know a guy with a hot rod shop that makes his own setup, he uses a tunnel ram manifold, simple injectors, painless wiring, not sure about the computer but he wants like 3k and I would think the tunnel ram wouldn't create optimum truck performance. I was thinking what would be so hard about like getting a tpi setup and drilling and adding some injector bungs to a dual plane manifold(say ebrock performer rpm) and puting a TBI throttle body or adapting the TPI one to go on top of it all.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The Dart 2 Sportsman intake manifold is already set up for injector. Just drill out the bosses.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think anyone has seriously considered it, when you can go TPI or TBI for under $1000 finished.

The custom setups IMO still aren't worth as much as a stock one, typically sensors are removed, and the system is simplified enough so that it will still run, which is all many "hot rodders" want. Removing functionality of a stock system is removing driveability, which is one of the reasons an EFI swap should even be contemplated.

I'm one of the "do it right, the first time" kind of people, and GM did it right, none of the companies out there are qualified to second guess all the time and money spent by GM on their EFI systems. (I know about Howell, but I'm generalizing here) Many of the aftermarket systems are just poor/less functional copies of stock systems.

The trucks aren't hard to put this stuff in, comparatively, so looking at ways to change the stock setup really isn't practical. Whats wrong with the TPI or TBI intakes for a fairly mild motor? Nothing. Why would you want to have to work with mismatched components when you could just go into a store and say it's an '88 Camaro (for instance) that you need a TPS, or MAT, or O2, and so on, for.

Once you start talking about a high revving, or large CID engine, the stock TPI (for instance) starts to show it's weaknesses. But for another $1000 or so, you can get a setup that eliminates the long runners, with no "hassle".

Retrofitting multiport to a dual plane carbed intake is pretty pointless, the long sweeping bends (or complete lack of bends) is what you want in a multiport injection setup, TBI needs the dual plane because of the air/fuel mix. Most of the time when you see carbed intakes being retrofittd or considered, is because someone is dealing with Olds or Pontiac engine (again, those used for example) that were never outfitted with a modern fuel injection system, and thus, have no easy way to go with EFI, like what exists for both BBC and SBC.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

there is somewhere on the web. do a search. i found one and gave it to my dad. (electrical engineer) gave him a project to work on. it was the little or mini something. i will see if ican find it. my dad said he could do it wioth no prob but in his spare time. so it will be a while. the plans said you could do it for like 150 and it had all plans and software there. my dad said more around 200.00 well see.

69k5

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

customefis.com adapts GM TBI systems to work on most ANY motor, and can also assist with getting a TPI setup on most Chevy setups as well. His site is VERY simple, but he has excellent content if you pay his $25 (IIRC) fee to see the technical info. Step by step instructions for installing either system.

Hope that helps.

-Dan