Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom MPFI chips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Aug 1, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok, i posted once before about a custom chip, anyway, the link that i was given, the guy cant burn mpfi chips. it was fastchip.com . Im gonna be running the edelbrock MPFI system, and I need someone to burn me a chip for this damn thing. Edelbrock gave me 3 of em, and 2 responded, both wanting $800 and my truck for 3 weeks. Not happening since one is in baltimore and the other is is california. Anyone else?! Im at wits end on this damn thing....maybe i should just carb it..........nah..

2. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I cant help with the chip but I just wanted to know where you got those bucket seats from. By the way, very nice truck, my favorite year, best of both worlds - old body style with fuel injection. Anyway, good luck on finding a chip.

3. jmd

jmd Registered Member

The factory ECMs for port EFI are more intelligent than the Edelbrock ones, and there's tonnes more support for custom tuning on them. Nice intake, but that's about all that's worth using.

Matthew

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

lotta people sell these seats, but one of the cheapest (least 2 years ago) was jcwhitney. http://jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=164045&BQ=jcw2
    The price has gona up a good bit since i bought em, but i would probably pay even that price for em. They sit you up real high in the cab so you have a commanding look down on everything around you. Im 6'3" and have good headroom. If you are like 6'7" or something your head might start rubbin or something.

Now www.acmetruckpart.com has what LOOKS like the same seat, but in the pic doesnt have the carbon fiber armrest, for 999.99 for leather and 699.99 for cloth, but again, it doesnt have the carbon fiber which looks really cool.
    http://www.acmetruckparts.com/cgi-bin/sgin0102.exe?T1=74253+904&UREQA=1&UREQB=2&UREQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=32&UID=2003080120075600
    on acme's site search with catalog # and use 74253 904 and you change the last 3 digits to 904, 906, 907, 909 to see all the diff styles/colors.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

800 is about right for a custom mpfi chip. To burn one right, you have to put the vehicle on a dyno and work with it. It takes some time to do this right. You cant just go out and buy a generic aftermarket chip that will work right.
    There should be a custom tuneing shop somewhere around your neck of the woods that will do it.
    Maby post on thirdgen.org or ask around at your local hot rod shops if there is anyone around that can burn chips. I'm sure there is someone close by. Charloette NC is the heart of hot rod country