Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom rear bumper question/ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Oct 19, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got a rear bumper designed out on SolidWorks and am planning on building it next summer if all goes as planned. My only problem is figuring out a way to cleanly mount the license plate. The bumper will probably be 2x4 rectangular tube (but stacked up in the middle part to make a height of 8") and it's all going to be sealed off. So, if there are any ideas for mounting the plate without having to drill into the bumper (ie, something like an extra mounting bracket), I'd like to hear them...pics would be good too. Cable ties and mounting tape are out of the question. I suppose if I have to I could drill and tap some holes to 1/4-20 or something and run bolts in there...that should keep moisture out.

Then I got to thinking about the license plate light. It's illegal to not have one, correct? So, about the light situation...anyone know a clean way to mount a light (preferably not have wires wrapped around the outside of my bumper)? I'm thinking that since I'll be joining 2 pieces of rectangular tubing, I could just leave/drill an access hole where they join just big enough to run a wire through. Then I could just fish it through - behind the license plate and up to the light. Sound like a plausable idea? And, I'm guessing I'll have to buy some generic light from a trailer place or something because the ones in the bumper now probably won't work, correct.

Just throw out any ideas you guys have got on either situation, thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can never seal the bumper completely from water. I suggest you drill holes at least in the bottom of it for it to drain. If you choose not to drill holes in it for the 'plate, fine, but I do suggest that you drill drain holes. Nothing is completely waterproof.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

French the plate and light assembly into the bumper...I did that with a pair of 5" tractor lights I used to use for back up lights. Worked well, they stay protected and the bumper is still sealed.

Rene

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I just screwed the licence plate into the tailgate and a nice little licence plate light I bought at autozone. My gate is rusted out anyway. I want to put the plate on a tire carrier when I get one anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

im guessing you are planning on making it an air tank or something? worried about corrosion...
    keeping it sealed is easy in a case like this. weld on some bolts. head to the metal facing out. then just put the plate on with nuts. as for the light, yes its needed if you are driving at night. some "C" chanel used to put the light inside and then make it bolt to the same bolts that the plate goes on.

OR, dont put the plate on the bumper. put it on the tire carrier, or on the tail gate. then run a little light to it. just some ideas.
    Grant

6. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can never seal the bumper completely from water.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure you can, weld it.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im guessing you are planning on making it an air tank or something? worried about corrosion

[/ QUOTE ]
    The latter.

[ QUOTE ]
    weld on some bolts. head to the metal facing out. then just put the plate on with nuts. as for the light, yes its needed if you are driving at night. some "C" chanel used to put the light inside and then make it bolt to the same bolts that the plate goes on.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif EXCELLENT!

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You can never seal the bumper completely from water.

[/ QUOTE ]

sure you can, weld it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely my thought. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I really don't like the idea of air tank bumpers, one of them welds goes, high pressure, boom blowout.

10. Seventy4Blazer

here is another tip. as for corrosion goes if you are worried about it then you might want to think about getting as much welding done on it as possible, but eaving one end open. once its done get some rustoleum in a pint can and pour it in. let it coat all sides, pour the rest out. let it dry and weld the rest up.

me, personaly i just wouldnt worry about it. but i live in AZ.

oh, and as for the light and liscence plate, thats waht im gonna do. so if you do it that way, please post some pics.
    Grant

11. Seventy4Blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    I really don't like the idea of air tank bumpers, one of them welds goes, high pressure, boom blowout.

[/ QUOTE ]
    DITTO!

12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

You can drill holes in the bumper and run the wires through rubber grommits

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Actually a metal tank failing due to pressure is not as catastrophic as you would think unless you are running pressures in excess of 1,000psi such as with an O2 tank. Especially one as small as a bumper. Normally all you will get is a hissing as the air escapes. We actually had a fork lift puncture one of our 400 gal air tanks with 125 psi and all it did was give a hiss and scare the crap outta the driver.

Now as for your liscense plate...Is this for the burb? If so french the plate into the rear door. They sell kits that have the box and light. All you do it cut a hole, trim it, and weld it in.

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

smitty built along with others make a generic botl on liscence plate frame that is wired for a like, it is black plastic and cost about $12-$15. weld on two or 4 bolts to mount the plate to and your set.

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    once its done get some rustoleum in a pint can and pour it in. let it coat all sides, pour the rest out. let it dry and weld the rest up.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Already had that in mind. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Don't worry, guys, I'm not using it as an air tank.

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Got a link so I can see one. That's sounding like the way to go.

gravdigr, sounds like you're kinda talking about the same thing as 55Willy, right? I'm not too crazy about putting it in my door, but it's a good idea.

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]
    heres one off a buggy site

18. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    You can never seal the bumper completely from water. I suggest you drill holes at least in the bottom of it for it to drain. If you choose not to drill holes in it for the 'plate, fine, but I do suggest that you drill drain holes. Nothing is completely waterproof.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks! That looks pretty slick. Bigger wiring harness than I imagined though /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's just a cover on the wires, same stuff some of our lights have. Could easily be removed and use a shrink wrap instead.