Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom rear inner panels: tell me about yours

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Oct 22, 2002.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I am planning on replacing the cheap pannels in the back of my blazer. I was thinking of creating a sort of frame and mounting the panels to this which would give me room for some storage and for my subs. (Basically allowing room for sort of cabinets) I am wondering what all of you have done as far as creating new/custom panels. Any ideas would be great. Pictures are even better. Any hints you could give about what works or doesnt or what makes the job easier would be very helpful. Thanks
    Zach
    zachy_man@hotmail.com

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Here's what I did...........made out of 5/8" particle board...........before

[​IMG]

and finished

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Only one of you has built your own panels? please send pics

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I made my side panel/speaker boxes outta particle board and they come out to the edge of the wheel well, all three speakers fit in front of the wheel well and all the room behind is storage, I built the back side of the box to be a door, they hold oil, jumper cables , bunggy's,lug wrench stuff like that....

6. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Watch that particle board with the top off, moisture will ruin it

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yeah, I have indoor outdoor carpet contact cemented to it and run a hardtop in the winter and it stays in the garage. The frame is made out of cedar 1x1 and if I were to do it again I would use a much thinner material and lay a thin layer of bondo on all sides to make it weatherproof... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

8. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If you use any type of wood or wanna be wood just paint it with a good coat of fiberglass resin to make it completely waterproof. Or use aluminum like me, or stainless or plastic or.......

9. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey, I dont have any pics. But i recently made my own custom panels for the rear. I started out using 1/4 inch think ply wood panaling. I used the old crapy factory panels as a pattern and cut the ply wood sections out. I then Covered them with Blue vinal which matches my interior which i found at a fabric store. I attached it using 3M spray addhessive. I moved the 6X9 speakers from the rear to the front of the rear panel, or behind the front seats. I then dressed up the rear and protected the sides with some Diamond plate. Easy project. It could be altered to fit virtualy and speaker combo. There is a lot of room in those fenders. I am verry pleased with mine. Get yourself a good plan of how you want it and then do it. After I finished I thought of serveral cool tricks I could have done. Like put doors in and made storage behind there for stuff like Pulling straps... Hiensight. Good luck.

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

11. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

nothing special, 3/8 plywood painted with oil based paint and then herculined for protection. i put my rear speakers in the panels, but with no carpet everything echos, i think im gonna rip em out and put some sort of insulation between the quarters and the panels.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I am making mine out of 1/4" thick "hard board". I'll be reinforcing the areas where the 6x9's and 12" subs mount with 3/4" thick press board mounted on the back side. I'll use my old panels as templates and will be placing a layer of 1" thick foam on the back of them and a layer of 1/4" thick foam on the front. Over the foam on the front I'll be using some sort of material that is water/stain resistant and then spraying them with scotch gaurd or something. The floor is scheduled to get a spray liner pretty soon and over that I'll lay the heat/sound barrier and carpet. That should quiet things down quite a bit and make it nice and cozy. I'm also going to be fabricating a headliner using the aforementioned method to help reduce the echo from the full hard top. I am trying to make this a capable/comfortable ride. I'll take pics as I do it. Maybe even do write up on it.

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I used 1/4" aluminum diamond plate for the sides and floor in the back. Takes a lot of abuse and its functional to carry stuff without ruining anything. Sorry, no pics.

14. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

do you have any pics. if so that would be great. could you post them or send to zachy_man@hotmail.com

15. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

please send me pics as you do this. what is the foam on the back for? just to dampen noise? you can send me pics to zachy_man@hotmail.com

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Yep, the foam is strictly for noise control. The foam on the back is the egg crate looking stuff to absorb the noise coming from outside. The foam on the inside is just to give depth/texture to the panel and help make it look good.

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Email broke, watch for finger.... J/K I'll see if I can PM them to ya or post them later.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am making mine out of 1/4" thick "hard board".

[/ QUOTE ]
    What's the difference between using "hard wood" and "soft wood?"

19. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Re:WOOD

Pam Anderson / Rosie Odonnel /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Matt

20. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

sounds good. have you considered putting sound deadening insulation on the truck body itself. it would be behind the panel but attatched to the bed. This might help with noise as well. I looked at your webshots. What did you do to the seat? is it moved back further than stock? I couldnt totally tell by the pics. it looks interesting.