Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom rear side panels with built in sub boxes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by k5lover, Mar 16, 2006.

?

Do you think this is a good setup?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2006.
  1. YES

55.2%
  2. NO

3.4%
  3. I would have done it differently

20.7%
  4. It looks great

44.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. k5lover

k5lover Registered Member

Here's a few pics of the stereo system I built for my K5. It's not perfect, but it works for me. For those of you who have a rollbar in your K5 and want to build boxes into the side to fit subwoofers, this was my solution. I built the side panels and sub boxes out of 3/4" MDF, sealed them, and carpeted them. I also mounted the amp behind the panel and cut a door out to make a lockable box. I bolted everything down because I have the top off alot here in San Diego. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, but hopefully this helps somebody. :D
    The setup is: 2 JL Audio 10w04's, Rockford Fosgate p5002 500watt rms Amp, 4 Boston Acoustic 6.5 mid/highs, Panasonic mp3 deck.

left_side.jpg

grill1.jpg

grill2.jpg

k5 008.jpg

k5 009.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I like, but I have too ask what's the air space (Cubic Foot). The subs I plan on call for 1.3 cubic feet per chamber with a sealed box. Other subs call for different air space, then there's sealed box vers ported box.

3. k5lover

One of the reasons I chose these JL Audio subs is they only require 0.75 ft in a sealed enclosure. They need 1.25 ft in a ported box. The mounting depth is only 5.3 inches too, so they were perfect for my needs.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I like it. I will be doing something similar in the Burb, behind the side panels. I am thinking about some DVC Alpha 8s.

5. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Looks good to me. :) Can you describe in a little more detail how you created this 'lock box' setup? Is it for securing just the amplifier, or the boxes/ subs also? Ive been trying to decide if I really want to put a stereo in a full convertible 4x4 (73) that will basically always have the top off. Id really like to for those late-night dunes parties, but moisture and theft are my two main/huge concerns. I think Im focusing more on how to make a removable system than on how to keep it in the truck securely 24/7, but your comments have me curious.

I'll probably go with IDQ's for subs if I do decide to build the stereo, they require ridiculously small enclosure sizes and sound fantastic.

And yes, the sub boxes look very nice. Great job. :waytogo:

6. k5lover

The lockbox was simply a trap door I cut out of the carpeted side panel, and then I put hinges, installed a lock and handle. It's just to hold valuables like tools etc. If you look at the 1st picture, you will see the door in the back (crappy picture). Everything else is bolted down real well for security. I also used some security screws that can only be driven in, not out. I also tried to moisture proof all the wiring, connections etc., but they are not marine speakers or anything, so I obviously I wouldn't want to be caught in a downpour with the top off. I thought about a removable system as well, but I wanted something that I didn't have to drag out of the truck every night. Since I only spent about $200 bucks on everything (except head unit), it wouldn't be devastating if somebody was able to steal the stuff. Hope that helps!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Looks familiar......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, I guess I'd have to say I think your idea was a good one!!! :usaflag:

8. k5lover

That looks great!

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

What about sound canceling with the two subs firing at each other? Looks great.... Greg what angle do you have your woofers firing at? Did you do that to get away from cancellation?

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I angled the boxes to allow for easier access to the back seat. It's basically a connect-the-dots angle between the outside edge of the rollbar and the front edge of the seat. This allowed me to sneak a trim panel behind the rollbar and hide the amps and make the side panels "appear" to be one continuous piece.

There was surprisingly good legroom and comfort with those boxes there and with the upholstered side panels installed, they were really subtle.......except when powered up!!! :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Those are very, very nice.

12. k5lover

I can hear the music loud and clear with the top off and the flowmasters at full blast, so I don't think sound canceling is an issue. I considered that problem originally, but I was told by my college buddy who is a sound engineer that that won't be a problem for this application. :rolleyes:

13. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

for some reason my comp clicked all four boxes....hmm...i like the setup BTW

14. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Running speakers (or even just one speaker) in a closed environment will create some cancellation issues. Its inevitable due to all the reflective surfaces in our vehicles. But firing subs directly at each other, especially at that distance apart from each other, wont likely cause any more cancellation than more traditional mounting methods.

15. k5lover

I have the top off 80% of the time, so that negates sound cancellation. Like I explaned in a previous post, even with the top on, it isn't a problem for me.

16. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

When you have more than one speaker playing, you are almost guaranteed some cancellation, its impossible to avoid. But my point was this is a regular occurance, and like you say, probably wont affect you negatively any more than another install design would.

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

do one you want to make me some of those???? :) id love to have 2 of those!

18. k5lover

I would but, I think you would be better off having you local stereo shop build them for you. They can probably do it quicker, cheaper, and tune them to your subs exact specifications. I'm thinking of upgrading to a larger set of subs, if I do I'd be willing to sell the subs/boxes sometime this summer....

19. k5james

k5james 1/2 ton status

They look really good in my storage too...:mad:

Hopefully I'll get them installed in my blazer for this summer but we'll see.:rolleyes:

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am way jealous of both designs in this thread . I still have my box sitting on the back seat . Sounds great , but I need them moved .

Someone should make these on the side and ship them :D