Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Rocker Boxes (Any and All Opinions Wanted!)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Sep 7, 2002.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Ok I've searched and all and this is what I'm thinking of doing. I'm going to put a cage like the one Greg has. My rocker boxes are all rusted out and beyond repair. I'm thinking of running a tube from where the cage bolts to the floor in the front to where it bolts in the back (or close) with some mounts to the floor inbetween. What does everybody think? I know some are all for boxes and some don't think they are needed (I did a search) but these blazer's are too rare IMO to take the chance of ruining a body. SO, do ya'll think this will provide sufficient support?

2. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    It's not to proportion but you can get the General Idea of what I'm talking about

3. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

From what your post says, I gather you have a six point roll cage. If that's correct, you could use it to help support the body by having tabs welded to it that can bolt to the windshield frame ( say where the hard top bolts to ), and or the door posts(say through the hinge anchors). If your main hoop is bolted to the side of the bed, as well as the floor, then this should have a similar effect to having to a truck cab. Ever see rocker boxes on a pick up truck? The cage should act as a cab top. I plan on doing this to my bazer early next year as a precaution, and to reduce some of the body flex that occurs with regular driving. I had a blazer prior to my current one with floors rotted out so bad, that the body mount under the door posts, was almost seperated from the body. It flexed so much I could move the windshield about 2" on the passengers side. I made a steel brace that bolted to the door post, and the bottom of the rocker box, and it made a big difference. I would definately make something on the bottom as well. And don't forget, that with that kind of rot, the body may already have some sag. Make sure you align the body if you can. make sure you can open and close your doors, see if you can bolt the hard top on without having to oblong the bolt holes to bolt it on. Make those adjustments before making any bracea or box replacements, so you don't get stuck with fit problems. Good luck! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

I replaced the rocker boxes on my jimmy. Could have never done it without buying a parts truck (and thank God for leading me to that one /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ). Several of the restorers warned me not to take the top off before replacing them cause the windshield frame would sag and I'd never get the doors to fit. After replacing the rockerboxes, floorpans and rocker panels at the same time I know what they mean. I had to jack the body allover the place to keep the dimensions correct in the door jambs... and it stil aint perfect (but not bad for a first attempt at this type of body work).

What your taking about might work but if you plan to wheel it the body might get tweaked since the mounts will be attached to the frame and not from the front of the cab to the rear. in other words the frame twisting force will be directly injected to the body rather that the body and frame acting seperatly. This make sense? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I don't expect it to get real crossed up (famous last words). I Think I'm going to try that with the bar underneath in place of the rocker, Unless someone tell's me that it won't work. The bar will not bolt to the frame so I don't think I will have a problem with frame/body twist. It will just sandwhich(sp) the floor with the roll bar on top. I don't allready have the front cage just the factory roll bar. I will be purchasing it soon after the floor and rockers are replaced (While the top is on /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ).

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I think this is the way to do it. Adds a lot of structure and makes the rocker bulletproof.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Marv

7. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Woo! Hoo! I like that! Definately one way to do it. Dig that ankle shot through the floor board /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    That looks good and I also like this, However unless I start tearing it down and find more rust that what I've found it will be hard for me to cut all that out on a first gen. But if it's going to have to be replaced then I might take that route.