Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Roof Rack Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vetteman61, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

Does anyone have pictures or know of any custom roof racks that don't involve drilling holes in the top. I'm thinking of something that would mount between the body and the top using the existing bolts for the top that would have supporting rods running up to the roof. If anyone has any pictures or ideas I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
    Brandon

2. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

I built mine just like a ladder rack, I welded flatbar to 1" square tubing up to a basket for the top. The flatbars are about six inches long and stick out between the topper and the bed sides. I set it where the bolts would line up with the existing holes. probably ot the best looking thing in the world but it hold all my crap!!! sorry that I don't have any pics

3. Vetteman61

your tire rack

When you had your 4 supporting rods supported between the top and the bedside, did you have to used any plates to keep the weight of the rack and tire on the rack from denting or distorting the sheetmetal on the bed?

4. Elevator Man

I used 1/4" thick flatebar and put a triangular gusset between the tubing and flatbar. It only sticks out about 1.5" bast the bess side. withe the roled shape of the bedside it is very ridgid. The main thing is to always remember, always over brace:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: !!!

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look at yakima gutter mounts.

6. Vetteman61

brainstorm

I've been thinking further. Do you think it's possible to have the front two (or maybe even 3) mounts bolt into the TOP of the blazer, where the fiberglass topper meets the metal roof of the cab. I know that area has some crazy bends in it. It might result in leaking even if it could be done, but i would very much prefer to only have the rear two bars come down the side of the truck instead of the 4.

Brandon

p.s. where do i go to edit info for my profile

7. Elevator Man

I only have 4 ...two in the front and two in the back. My roof rack is just over the topper. How are you wanting to build yours, over the cab?

8. Vetteman61

roof rack ideas

I'm not sure if I can explain it but I'll give it a shot. the rack would be over the fiberglass top. I do not want to drill holes in the top, so... my first idea was to put a rack on top with support braces welded to it that ran over the fiberglass top and down the sides with mounts that would slide between where the top and the bedside meet, and hopefully make a plate that would slide between the bedside and the top and use the existing bolts that hold the top down to secure it.
    That would be great, but then I thought instead of having 2 support bars on each side that ran down the sides of the fiberglass top (but not touching it, they would only be supported by the plates that would go between the top and the bedside using the existing bolts that hold the top down) I could have the back two braces go down the side of the top but somehow manage to get the front braces to mount on top of the truck between where the top of the fiberglass top meets and the steel part of the roof of the cab. My concern is that the bolts which bolt on the top part of the fiberglass top don't bolt flush, but have several awkward bends to them. I was trying to think of a way to have my front two brackets for the spare tire rack to mount there, that way I'd have my front two support rods for the tire rack mounting from the roof, and only the rear two support rods extending down the side of the truck.

9. Elevator Man

I don't know how your are about fine lines but min is plenty stout but proly not the best looking thing in the world. My bars in the front go up right behind the cab and the back bars go up behind the back of the bed. It works great but does't look the best!

10. Vetteman61

do you have any trouble getting your top to fit after putting the mounting plates between it and the bed?

11. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

12. Elevator Man

That is what mine looks like just mage out of square tubing, and a 5" deep basket with a expanded metal bottom.