Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Saddling Tubing question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Sep 13, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

As some of you know, i'm in process of making a cage. Got a bender and a notcher and I've made the main hoop, rear hoop, and rear rack. But now I need to make some braces that go in at a diagonal. Basically a 45. I need to put a small notch on one side and about a 45 degree notch from the other one's ends in a cup into the tubing. Those that have done this know what i'm talking about. Now I assume you dont use a torch because of heat issues. So what do I use to mark and to cut?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I built a tire carrier using tubing. I cut the notches you are talking about using a grinder, just went a little at a time and kept putting in a piece of tubing till I had it right.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Although it isn't exactly inexpensive, a tubing notcher is what I've seen used before. Since you have already invested in welder, tubing bender, etc, you may want to get one to complete the kit. [​IMG]

Eastwood Company sells a nice one that you can see community.webshots.com/user/robbrj

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

wow that is nice, 502. I'll definately keep it in mind when I buy a bender and welder of my very own. Living with borrowed property right now [​IMG]. We've got a notcher but it only does 1-3/4 which is fine, but it also only does straight in notches. I'll probably end up using a cut off wheel and a grinder. perhaps that'll work ok.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Check out My vehicles