Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom shackle flip problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryanNC, Dec 11, 2000.

1. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

I just rolled my 70 blazer out of the shop thinking I just accomplished a perfectly functional shackle flip all by myself. Boy, oh boy was I wrong. The geometry is all wrong. the shackle at rest is tilting forward. When it flexs upward the shackle stays vertical. Any suggestions would help. I have pics on my site if you have time to help a 19 year old get into the K5 community.

http//www.ryans1site.coloradok5.com
    look under current projects

2. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

if you can weld you could fab up a new set to use the holes you have other than that you have got to move you lowering kit forwer or back

oh and you have an awesome blazer. The inteor looks sweet and I really like thos 5 points. how do the mount in to your blazer

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

3. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

James,
    I used the stock locations to start with. I have them mounted through the floor with 3inch washers on the underside to keep from tearing the floor up in a fender bender. There streched a little to tight(real high blazer seats) so I'll probabley make new 90 deg. mounts to get some more slack. Next in the safety dept. is a rollcage hopefully.

Thanks for the reply and compliment.
    "you ain't been wheelin' if yee ain't been stuck!"

4. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Ryan first you could measure the leaf spring length when flat which should be 52". Then measure from the front rear spring bolt back 50" and that is where your top shackle pivot should end up. Right now the front bolt to the shackle pivot is probably around 52-53". I hope I am making myself clear. You will have to do a little more work but you will be much happier. Right now it might ride rougher than it did before you did the flip. This is because when your spring is in the positive arch and with the forward shackle and you hit a bump the spring will try to go to the negitive arch which means that the shackel will have to go backwards and down which means a rougher ride. Plus you will have less down travel with that forward mounted shackle. I say go and get a Angle finder and look at some truck suspensions like Top Kick GMC. Look at the angle of the shackles and try to match that with your blazer and you will be much happier. The shackle should be between 30-45 degree angle. I have a question for you all why do front spring always have a straight up and down shackle or slightly forward shackle. Does this not give a bad ride and why doesn't someone make the springs right so you have a rear facing shackle? I will be testing the theory soon on my blazer by have a rear facing shackle. I will be doing it will all junkyard springs and hoping for 3-4" lift and 12" of up and down travel. I will let you guys now after I get it done. I don't know that this helps you any but maybe it help someone.

Donovan

5. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

on my 88 the front shackle tilts toward the rear I made it 1"longer even.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Ryan,
    what angle was the shackle at before you did the flip? Usually, it is pretty close to the same angle afterwards.

"If it aint broke...Make it work better!"