Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom shock hoops...

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by jekbrown, Sep 1, 2004.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm gonna be relocating my tie rod behind my axle with some arms I got from WTO. As part of that process I need to relocate my shocks. I was looking in the wheel wells today and the passanger side is going to be no problemo. What I am trying to figure out is how people who have their steering shaft in the stock location mount a hoop on that side without getting in the way of anything. Anyone have pics of how they've done it?

j

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

depending on heigth jek I would mount the hoop so the legs strattle the steering shaft. like go on top of the frame at the front and on the side of the frame at the rear then do your tabs off of it. i was gonna do hoops on mine but i went with fords up front and my hoops in the rear, just worked out better that way.

3. jekbrown

yeah, thats what i was thinking. Fords wouldnt work on the drivers side in my case... the shock needs to be mounted right on top of the axle housing so its out of the way of my new steering stuff so I'm gonna go with some hoops... dont really see any other way to get the shock outside the steering shaft area.

what size tube would be considered minimum? I do plan on running a crossmember between the tops of both hoops for extra support... 1.25" or 1.5" 0.120 wall DOM be large enough?

j

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1.25 would suffice I say. I think thats what the normal aftermarket ones are.

5. jekbrown

yeah Ive been lookin around to see what the fab shops are putting out there. Seems that 1.25" hoops with a little straight support that runs from the frame to the middle of the hoop is standard... I'll prolly set up something similar and add the hoop-to-hoop crossmember just for some extra beef/piece of mind. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Let me see If i can find some pictures of my setup, its exactly like you want yours done, except im running 14" TRavel SAW's.

7. jekbrown

awesome, hook it up amigo! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am gonna stick with my DT8000s for the near term... but in the relatively near future, I'll prolly run a set of Bilstein 5150s up front.

anyway, hook it up with da pix!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Here you go, Im building a new frame soon and have a couple new ideas floating around in my head that im going to try and use.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jekbrown

great pics. I dunno why I thought this was so complicated, lol! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I see that you did mount the hoops to the top of the frame though, for some reason I was planning on bolting mine to the sides of the frame and then having a support go from the center/top of the hoop down to the top of the frame. Things would be much easier the way you have it oriented, maybe I'll save myself a headache and just alter my plan. lol! thanks again,

j