Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom side panels > sub and amp mount?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Super Chevy, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Super Chevy

Super Chevy Registered Member

i planned on removing the cork-board side panels in the rear of my 87' k5. I wanted to make some custom side's with some 1/2 plywood and have my 6x9's,also make extensions in the back to allow 1.5 cubic feet per side for my 12" subs,then on the pass. side behind were i want to put the ashtry back in the original spot a square recess for my amp,then tuck in my wires ( 4guage and monster cable av ). will 1/2 work? also whats nes. to mount the shoulder belts and ashtry's? I wanted to do this to help with theft protection and give me more room over my Q-logic hatchback. I wanted to cover it with grey fabric ( dont know what is would be a good material? ).

sorry to rant on,but this has been on my mind latly,cant get any thing though my mind in school except the k5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Use 3/4 in MDF and make sure you paint it with fiberglass resin if you ever plan on getting water in there.

3. Super Chevy

dumb question, how much yo figure a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 mdf cost? i think ill need two of them, anyone got an idea whats behind there brace wise and to mount the shoulder belts? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

You will only need one sheet. I did my '83 K5, 3/4" for under 30 dollars for wood and carpet

5. Super Chevy

Thanlks, I'm gonna have to come out in the back though to make the cubic inches nes. for my subs, can you get some pics of yours?

Thanks,Eddie /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

You have metal braces back there along with screws into the lip where the top bolts down. I think it will be strong enough.