Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Soft top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Dec 6, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

How rough do you guys think it'd be to design and make a custom soft top close to what besttop or kayline offers for the '73 to '75 guys. Cant do a fastback cause of the cage. What material would you use? Sunbrella? I want to do this on the cheap, but I will need a top when i get to illinois, and it has to be custom with all the body mods. Thanks for any help. And time is going to be easy to come by for once!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Wassuuppp..... I have a friend here that has a tarp,tent,canvas shop. She said she could duplicate any top that I borught to her. So you could try a place like that unless you wanna do it yourself. She said she would used any material I wanted or the same stuff that Jeep tops are made of. Aren't the new TJ tops made out of that Sunbrella stuff this year? That or I think it is called Sailcloth.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

From what I gathered, the Sunbrella (2 - 10' x 6' = $60) is the cheap part of a soft-top. The hardware and making it all work together (engineering it), is the hard part.

I went and asked a shop to do this who "specialize in top manufacture and repair". The ESTIMATE was $450 for LABOR!!!

I am sure labor in other parts of the US (i.e. anything outside CA) is less. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Let us know what you find.

Good luck.

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, like you said. 450.00 for labor and 60.00 for materials (or a bit more) still makes for a cheap custom soft top. Mine cost me 400.00, (half top) and it is perfect... one of a kind, custom designed exactly the way I wanted it. I think its worth it.

Mike

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I would try to use the Sunbrella, I ran a few winters and of course the summers with my Can-Back as well as through tight tree trails and it still looks brand new, I'm not sure what else is out there but I can vouch for the Sunbrella fabric being tough as hell.