Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CUSTOM SPARE TIRE CARRIER HOW-TO

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigTex, Feb 12, 2001.

1. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to make my own spare tire carrier for my 79. I am going to custom-fab it and would like some of your input, all is appreciated. I like some of the ones I have seen on some of your trucks and was wondering if anyone out there has any good pics I could use as a guide; or, has anyone taken pics of their own fabrication so that they may possibly be posted as a How-to in the tech section? I'm sure a lot of us would be interested considering the alternative to buying a high-priced one. Let's hear from you welders out there!

2. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Come on guys, anyone? I realize this is not a non-K5 related post (as too many posts have been lately), but there's gotta be SOMEONE out there!!!

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Tex,

I have a KMA Multicarrier. The swing away part is nothing but a sleeve put through the large bottom bumper. Then the swing away part has a bolt welded to it and the bolt and the nut is tightened up under the bumper. Very poor design in my opnion. The bolt is sloppy in the sleve in less then 1 year. I am planning a new bumper for my truck. But now its not my main concern. I'm still considering my design for the rock sliders. I just have to get up the tools to build the sliders.

Corey

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez</A>

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I've got some pics of mine on my site. On the hidge, do not use a poly, or spring, bushing. You will get alot of bouncing out of it. Any other help I can give, let me know.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

On mine I used 1 1/2" cold rolled steel round stock as my pivot pin. Its about 8 or 9" long and is inset into the tubing for the bumper at the outside edge of it. Then I machined a weld on bushing to fit the round stock snugly. I welded a square tube carrier to the bushing, and used another piece of the bushing but only 1/4 thick as a weld on washer above the bushing/carrier assembly so it can't come off. Its not the most impressive thing I've built but it works well and is strong, not like a cheesy bolt. I also threaded a grease nipple into the bushing so I can keep it greased. The carrier itself I built from 2x2x .125" square tubing and when it is closed and latched the whole works rests on the bumper itself. I have some pics of it but they're not very good and aren't scanned yet.
    Oh yeah, for the pivot pin, I left the end of the tube open until I got the carrier set the way I wanted it, then I welded one side of the pin to the inside of the tube. Then I capped the ends of the bumper tube (2x8 1/2")

Rene

[​IMG]

6. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

there was a sweet tire carrier someone designed, and posted the pics of. i wanna say it was BB454, but i could be wrong. it was a receiver hitch, with a tire mount that swung down towards the ground.
    do a search on tire carrier, or bumper.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>
    don't lie. its a courier with a campershell

7. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot for your help, guys. If I have any more questions about this I'll definitely keep you guys in mind. I REALLY appreciate your input.

8. kenbrown

kenbrown Registered Member

hey big tex!

Dont know if you are done gathering suggestions but i have a photo of mine on readers rides "ken's blue ox". its a little more than most people want but if you like ill get you more info.

Ken

k5redrocker@yahoo.com