Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom Springs...

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by morphed86k10, Jul 22, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I'm looking to revamp my rear suspension. Currently I have stock springs and 4 inch blocks out back. I have some things in mind for longer shock mounts, but I cant decide what to do with the springs. The stock K30 springs are really stiff, and I don't utilize their payload abilites. I'm thinking of getting some 4 inch lift rear springs, with custom shock mounts and calling it good. But I'd like to know how something like a TC 56 incher compares to a stock K30 spring as far as ride quality. If there isn't much difference, I might as well just go with a shackle flip (because it's cheap). Or, the best method, go with a semi-custom spring, since they are the best riding and flexing option. How much does a set of custom rear springs cost for lifts in the 4-6 inch range?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Custom springs would probably run about $450.00. That's an educated guess but shouldn't be far off. TCI lists the 56" springs as only slightly stiffer than the 52" springs at 425 lb/in vs. 405. Not a big difference so that might be a good route to go. Don't count on carrying much load with them.
    (one thing to watch out for with spring rates is that what's in the catalog can be figured several different ways and rarely takes into account the shackle effects which are VERY important.
    Based on this I'd say best bang for the buck is a set of TCI rears. Let me know if you want them, we'll get them on the way.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info! I'll likely be ordering the springs in a few weeks here, along with some RS9000's. For comparison, what is the spring rate on the stock K30 springs?