Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom subwoofer box???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by muddysub, Aug 20, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok, on my suburban i have a dip in the floor for the stock spare in the back driver's side corner, well that doesn't do much good anymore what can i use that hole for? would it be possible to make a custom subwoofer box for that hole? would it be practicle? i don't want a sub box that takes up a lot of space so i was thinking this could work. if not i'll put a couple of subs under the middle seats.

2. Rebel-Rider

Rebel-Rider 1/2 ton status

theres not very much room to make a box for that dip so what i would do is make a spare tire replica out of fiberglass and have that as your subwoofer enclusure you could put one 12" or possibly a 15" subwoofer in that enclosure and all it would look like is the spare tire if you did it right

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you were not oposed to a standard sub-box, the well would make a good place to mount the amp.

4. muddysub

rebel... i like that idea! how hard would that be?

5. Rebel-Rider

have you ever worked with fiberglass before IF not its a great spot to start it wouldnt be hard at all make a template out of a circular piece of cardboard then dowels (to get the width of the tire) then another circular piece of cardboard may be a little difficult but if you have the supply's it would be really easy ive got ton's of resin and mat/cloth if you need more info you can email me at rebel102285@hotmail.com or if you like i could try and make the enclosure for you, or if you go to buy the supplys to make it yourself make sure to buy it at www.shopmaninc.com they have the cheapest prices around let me know what you decide on

6. muddysub

is fiberglass a good material to make a sub woofer box out of? i've always seen tham made out of wood.

7. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

I have seen the premade enclosers that will drop in them but can't seem to find them right now , I will look in the morning...mike

P.S I think it is made by Q-logic..I think

8. muddysub

cool, if you could find that you'd rule! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Rebel-Rider

fiberglass is great to make enclosures out of i think its easier to work with than wood you could still have a would front and back i dont think that qlogic or anyone make an enclosure like that for the old suburbans but i may be wrong /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I would suggest a MTX thunderform replacement console. They have built in cup holders and are factory color matched. One 10" woofer, built in amplifier and built in high low convert, and all the wires and complete install instructions. They sell for 519.95 but I would sell them to K5 for 375.00 that is probably one of the cheapest complete setups I could offer and it looks as close to factory as you can get.

If you do make an enclosure out of fibegrlass you need to make sure there are many layers and support as any flex is going to take away from performance. We could build a spare tire enclosure inhouse out of all wood. Select Product offers a bendable wood that we use to wrap circular enclosures and just resin the inside to seal the enclosure.

11. Rebel-Rider

that's how i was going to make it for him if he wants me to but im sure its alot cheaper for him or me to do it rather than a shop

12. Rebel-Rider

how much money for a thunderform counsel that would fit an 84 gmc jimmy i dont want the amp and sub in it i want it unloaded let me know thanks ADAM

13. muddysub

i think it would be awesome to do this, but i'm broke, so it'll be a while. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

14. Rebel-Rider

if u did it yourself $50

15. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

No thunderform for a 84 Jimmy sorry :-(

16. Rebel-Rider

thats exactly what i was thinking then how can you have a thunderform for his suburban?????????

17. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

All I could find was a pioneer thing that might fit but it was for older cars/trucks ...But the reviews were not that good ..I know I used to see them in the cruchfield mag a while ago but not now...Soory man...mike