Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom tailpan buildup? Anyone with K5 tailgate? Mounting pics?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Nov 2, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Looking for a link to the page with pics, I thought it was in the UAV section. I know a few people have done it. The 2x3 tube tailpan with new floor metal on top of it.

Seems like it was just a 2x3 tube with a couple of 1/4" plates welded in for the body mounts. I'm going to make one tuesday just wanted to double check my thoughts. Putting in a new bed floor also.

Anyone Have pics of a blazer tailgate mounted to this setup?
    Just bolt threw the tube instead of into the tailpan?

I will have a slightly used, but basically new Tailpan for sale soon if anyone is interested /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    its the highlighted section here, sold for $130 new

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Anyone have the link to the CK5 or custom tailpan buildup? steel prices?

This what you want? It's my son's rear bed support which replaced the rusted out OEM...

3. jjlaughner

Thats the one! Did you put a tailgate back on? What tube did you use? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

2 x 3 x 3/16 tube. We are switching to a custom fab’d tailgate to loose weight. It will be built using truck gate hinges and latches.

5. jjlaughner

Back tot he topnew question for those with a regular K5's tailgate. I'm thinking I'll just drillsome holes and drop some bolts threw the tailpan and bolt the brackets flat to the bottom /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Should be an interesting week doing floor replacement and more fender trimming /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif