Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom tbi chips.... got a labtop now what?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Feb 11, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I decided to burn my own chip after seeing labtops are 40 bucks off ebay... besides win adl what do i need?

How much are chips and how do you burn them? Is there somthing you have to buy to be able to burn them or do you just hook the chip up to your truck and burn it from there?

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

3. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

A labtop or a laptop ? Or is this the scam where you bid on a photograph of a laptop...

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

You could get a old P2 laptop for cheap on Ebay. Then you would need a flash programer and software for around &200-250. and a PROM eraser for around $90 or there abouts.

There is also something out there called a prominator(do a search) it is a aftermarket chip that is programable. you can plug a laptop into it.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You should be running EEPROM's these days (at least I think thats an option for TBI folks!) and the prom burning tool will erase them too, so that is $90 that shouldn't be needed.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

One of these?

http://www.speedtronics.net/aboutprominator.asp

I checked thirdgen but i still don't know what i need besides the labtop, winadl, eprom, and chips. Do i need software or does the eprom do that?

1. eprom
    2. winadl
    3. labtop
    4. chips
    etc
    etc.

what else???????:confused: :dunno:

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the prominator replaces the need for extra chips all you have to do is install it one time, if you want to reprogram all you have to do is hook it up to a lap top and modify the bin file. You will need a bin editor which can be found free on the internet. Tunerpro is a good version that will work with the prominator. You will also need a cable so you can do data loging before and after to decided what needs to be changed. I have found these for around 35-45 dollars.

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

9. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the reason that it is not smog legal is they do not want to go through the trouble of getting a CARB approvel. Just keep a copy of the orignal BIN file on your lap top and when it is time for a smog check load back the orignal file for the smog check and then as soon as you pass put the other BIN file back in. I do not know for sure what it fits that question would be best answered by the people that make it.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know how CA would know the PROM has been altered. I know they get crazy with casting numbers and all sometimes, but I *think* when burning your own PROM's you don't have to change the ID of the PROM, which I *believe* is all they can go off of, short of disassembling your ECM and checking the PROM itself. Does CA actually inspect the ECM for tampering?

The other problem is that for a closed loop setup, there should be no reason you should have to swap PROM's that I can see. A stock PROM doesn't work for you now, swapping it back in for emissions would make you fail, whereas a good "burn" of your own should allow you to pass.

Go download tunerproRT and play with it. Get the right ECU (.ecu) definition file and .bin for what you have ('7747 right?), load them up, and check out what can be played with. Kind of makes sense reading some of the thirdgen posts and physically being able to see what they are talking about.

good .bin library from what I've researched