Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom trans tunnel / hump thingy...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Nov 27, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm going clocked doubler and will have a driveline brake on the back of my np205. This will probably cause some floor clearance issues, even with my 1" of body lift. At any rate, I'd like to fab a custom tunnel, preferably one that had removable panels that might make it easier to install/remove/mess with the trans, t-cases, shift linkages etc. I'm not a sheetmetal guru, so I was thinking of keeping it simple. Run a pair of square or rectangular tubes from the "step" in the tub behind the seats straight foward to the firewall... cut out the stock sheetmetal underneath... bolt/weld some 1" angle to the new edge in the floor directly below the tube so the new sheetmetal panels can all be straight/flat. Add some tabs with nuts welded to the back to allow everything to be bolt-on and viola. I'm sure some people have done this in a stock rig, but most of my searches here or on pir8 tend to show pics of buggies.. which isn't especially helpfull.

j

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

what year izs your floor? does it have the stock removable piece? if not I'd just find an older set up and run that then do a seperate one for the double access with the same idea you described. just a sheet metal cover with tabs to catch the sides to secure it.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

'85 tub... its trans cover thing isn't bolted on. If I remember right its spot welded... prolly has some of that nasty-tough factory seam sealer too.

j

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its just glued on. Use a heat cun or propane torch to get it off. Takes about 10 min to get it off.