Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom tyre carrier

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BB454, May 16, 2000.

1. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Some time ago somebody asked about rear tyre carriers that were available. Here is a series of pic's of the carrier I made for mine. Instead of sideways this swings vertical and does not require the bodywork to be drilled full of holes. It slides into the towbar and then folds upwards to lock onto the chassis. Complete removal of the whole carrier takes less than 30sec. and no brackets are left behind to spoil the rear of the truck.
    Lets hear what you think of this.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Looks great, do some testing, and let us know how it works.
    Do you think it will take some weight(36" swampers+steel wheel), and 4x4ing on a 4+ rated trail ?
    Will it last 10+ years, or is it considered disposable ?

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hey Hennie how's it going mate. I like the rear tire carrier Would like to do the same until I can aford to build a nice new bumper/tire carrier combo. did you build it yourself and if so do you have tech. drawings you could send.Thanks,

Rob (loudtuneschevyfumes@home.com)

4. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

I built this some five years ago and it has seen plenty of service since. The spare wheel is a 33/12.5 M/T BF on a steel rim. On hunting trips the tyre is used as the "spotter's seat" and I have not lost a spotter or a wheel yet even though it sometimes gets very rough and the combined weight of the tyre and spotter would be in the region of 130kg!..lol. It should be fine for any size wheel.

I can make detailed drawings for those that want some. It is a very simple design and anybody could make this carrier in one weekend.

BB454

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hennie,
    The Boss would like to see your detailed drawings of this carrier. That thing looks great man. Thanks in advance bud.
    Boss

6. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

I would like to see some detailed drawings if you don't mind. That tire carrier is awesome!!

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Awful nice, a friend made one of those type for his Dodge ram. It looks great and works awesome, but the only prob I can see is bursting something trying to lift the 35" tire back into place! His is a brute to lift, I dont know how yours is.
    Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

9. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Looks good,but is there a good secure attachment point for a strap.I made a temp carrier myself.It slides in a 2" reciever but don't fold or swing.I used a drawbar so I can put a D-ring and strap on still.I am planning on building a good heavy duty one that swings out off the way like the stock carrier but bolted to the bumper I built out of 5"C-channel.Brady

10. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

I'd love to see some plans as well. I really need a carrier like that!!!

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

11. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

Me too, Me too. I want some plans also.
    Thanks, Chris

GO STARS !!!!!

12. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

please include me on the plan distribution list.
    thanx.

Knife.

13. Jeff 86K5

Jeff 86K5 Registered Member

Looks good, maybe you could send the plans to COK5 and Steve would post them on the how to board? I'm looking for some steel now.

Thanks,

Jeff 86K5

14. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

....sounds like a broken record (cd?) here, but yes - post plans!

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Love the carrier, and love the "rack" you have inside the bed of the truck. Tell us more details on that one, and put me on the distribution list for the tire carrier. E-mail address on my profile.
    Nice Blazer...........and Vette...............

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

16. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Boss/Bondo/Chris/Knife/Jeff - Thanks for the responce guys. I have posted the plans on the forum under "HERE ARE THE PLANS". If you have any questions please feel free to E-mail me directly: usa1@lantic.net

Rob - Thanks for asking. I am fine besides that I miss my K5 badly. The rear axle project is very time consuming but it should be done soon. Meet in the chatroom again sometime?

Michael - The K5 came from TEXAS with the mudflaps on it. I also thought they looked cool and kept them with pride.

Brady - I don't quite get the strap question. Please reply again. Sorry mate.

Frank- The alluminium rack in the back is in fact built for the Toyota Double-cab as a roofrack. When the sound system in the back of my K5 took over most of the space I found this rack to be the perfect way of protecting the expensive stuff below and regain some lost cargo space. It extends from the rear seat backwards to the tailgate and does not bother passengers using the rear seat.

BB454

17. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if there was a spot to attach a tow strap for yanking someone.It looks like on the plans there is a hook bolted on.Brady

18. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Brady - No, the thing that I drew is in fact the towball for trailers and such. It is highly danngerous to use this type of ball-hitch for recovery purposes. On the other hand, the horisontal bar of the towbar is quite suitable for such purposes as long as you stick to the specified material (note the parts list) I have done plenty of snatch-strap recoveries using the horisontal bar as an attachment point. Another thing to consider when building something like this is the welding. I would advise the use of CO2 welding instead of some other method to gain maximum penatration at the joints. Remember that the whole thing is only as strong as the welding. Poor welding will ruin the whole project. I have seen too many welded-on recovery hooks torn off during snatch-strap recoveries to overlook the importance of good penetration welding. I am a firm believer in "over-design". I would rather be safe than sorry.

BB454

19. Jeff 86K5

Jeff 86K5 Registered Member

Thanks BB454,

This looks better than my plans. My idea used an A frame that attached to the hitch (crossbar) at either end and was held in the vertical position with pins. My Blazer already has a reciever hitch.

My last question:

Are you able to access the window crank (mine is manual) with the carrier in the up position? My design wouldn't allow this.

Jeff 86K5

20. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

great design....thanks

Knife.