Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

custom vent line running*anyone else's 2 cents?*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Aug 27, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

custom vent line running*anyone else\'s 2 cents?*

ok, i know theres guys out there that have done this. need some help that'll save me alot of work and i can go right to the parts counter and not seem like a dumb a$$! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif i need hose size on the difs, t-case, and tranny. how much to buy(length) of each to reach the engine compartment and how many and what size of "t's" to buy, i figure at least 2 t's.total feet of each size of hose would be most helpful. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Re: help! needs some info on runnin your dif/tranny/tcase vent lines to engine

If they all use different fluids (aluminum t-cases use ATF) then you need to run seperate lines, if any spills from one to the other then the ATF WILL eat the seals in everything else. I ran mine up into the passenger area, they are inside the cab with little K and N filters on top /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
    If you do run them into the engine bay, put splash guards over them so any muck thrown by the fan does not foul them up.
    My truck came with them when I bought it, I just extended them a little farther. Don't forgtet to make them long enough for suspension flex, they would pop off at the worst moment /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    I think the inner diameter of the vent tubing is 1/4", but that sounds a bit small. The length depends upon where you would run them to. Hope this helps.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rear diff you cane take out a tail light and sove it up into the rear corner of the bed up high. Zip tie it to the tabs the reflector screws onto. Need about 6-7 ft
    Case I rran up to the side of the brake boster mount and zip tied it there. Same with the tranny. 17 feet should about do it and leve you with a peice long enough to move the dront diff farther up the core suport.
    I put a couple cheap fuel filters on the tranny and case. The ones I'm using are for a carburator equiped Carrola. Its about 1.5 inches in diameter. One inlet points down and one to the side. There are no back flow valves in it so air can travel either way. It's clear so I can visually see if it has been contaminated if the case or tranny puke up the vent line. Just suck and blow on the connections and make sure that it can flow both dirrections. Some filters do have a anti drain back valve in them and you would not want to use one of those for a vent line.

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

TTT

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Don't remember how many feet I bought, but it was alot. All of my lines run up under the cowl on the passenger side, there's a little pocket in there that is very well protected from water. the rear line comes up the framerail, the t-case/tranny lines T together just to the side of the case, near the framerail, then the line joins up with the rear diff line. The front line runs up to the crossmember, then back along the passenger side framerail and meets with the other two, then it's up over the fenderwell into the cowl. I've heard that you need to run an expansion chamber of some kind when the lines are this long, since there is so much restriction in the long line that when the diff is dipped in water it cools and tries to suck air, but since the line is so long it is easier for it to get the air through a seal. don't know how much truth there is to this, I've been running without for a couple of years and my diff oil is always nice and clean, even after water crossings.

Parts list guesstimate, for the same setup as mine -

30 feet 3/8" rubber hose
    4 hose clamps to clamp to breather nipples
    1 T fitting
    A filter for the ends of the lines, if you want one.
    Lots of Zip Ties
    Tube of silicone, I just use the ones for the caulking gun, since I use tones of the stuff anyways. The rubber hose and hose clamps are probably good enough, but I siliconed all of the connections anyways, for added peace of mind.</font color>

6. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

Re: custom vent line running

ttt

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

That sounds almost exactly what I am going to do when PI is in the shop next. 'Cept Im going to use 1/2-3/4in. conduit to run from front to back.

8. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The HMMWV has single vent tube that connects the hub gear-reduction boxes, differentials, transfer, trans, and (IIRC) the fuel feed pump to the air cleaner. The line used is small, maybe 1/4" or less plastic. I would use something alittle bigger or stoughter as they have a bad habit of pinching (especially if melted) and causing a mess. But it does work! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: custom vent line running*anyone else\'s 2 cents?*

fram G3 or G4 fuel filters are clear plastic and work perfect for that
    fuel line is what I used 3/8 or 5/16 depending on what size the nipples are