Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Custom windshield spray system?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblubomber, Mar 2, 2007.

1. bigblubomber

bigblubomber Registered Member

Anyone know how to setup a windshield sprayer system? Mississippi delta here so nothing but mud. LOTS of mud. Windshield gets gunky in 30 seconds after startin to play. Saw sum pro mud race trucks with this setup but didnt get a close look.

2. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Pro mud race trucks? The only ones i have seen are the ones with the rectangle cutouts in the front plastic windsheild.

Do you mean a pressure system to move the mud off, instead of the scratching wipers? Im about to get a new windsheild and i dont want my wipers scratching the mud around on it.. a pressure clearing system would be awesome.

3. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You might check with some of the guys that race on Davis Island down near Vicksburg. I am not sure what they use but I believe it's the tear away or just a metal screen. Are you still wanting to be streetable? I will check with some of the guys that race around here and see what they use.

What part of the delta are you in?

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Good to see another MS boy on the boards, just aren't enough of us around here. I was thinking about building a custom rail to go across the top of the windshield and pointing down with jets every few inches to spray down, need to come up with a higher pressure pump though, shouldn't be to hard to build one.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

probably be best spraying up. Down will just force more crap into your cowl and onto the hood where it has the chance to fly right back up on the windshield.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Zactly what I was thinking.

Might look into those mister nozzles used for cooling patios & the like. I'll guess you're gonna need a reservoir of a couple gallons capacity.

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

How about an electric fuel pump and a 5 gallon holding tank?

8. BulldogK5

The misting nozzles are set to a really fine spray and would mostly dissipate and do no good. On the right track though, check into an irrigation supply house. We use nozzles that are adjustable for pressure and pattern. Or use copper tubing along the bottom of the windshield and use a saddle tap to punch holes every few inches, similar to a sprinkler kids would run through. You know the kind that arches from side to side.

9. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

You could drill the misting nozzels out for what ever spray pattern you are looking for. I went and checked out my misting system and they are just little brass fittings. What type of pattern do you think you would get if you drilled it at an angle? Just a thought. I like the holding tank idea with a water pump.

Better yet what about a hudson sprayer? You know the type that you spray weed killer with? That nozzle puts out decent water spray pattern.

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

the misters work fine if you aren't moving. but, they can't break up heavy mud quickly, and the mist blows back if you have any forward motion. my friend and i gave it a shot when i worked at fedex and they replaced the misters outside the sort area. we probably weren't pushing enough pressure through them, though. we hooked them up to the wiper fluid pump (on his '92 pickup) for a quick test. but being a quick and dirty install, so it looked like crap, like a tiny lightbar with duct tape and a hose on it. ha. as i said, it was just for the test.

11. BulldogK5

That is another good idea since they are adjustable. You can buy them in brass individually at most home stores. The holding tank and pump is a great idea if you were to do this. I have even had to get out and throw muddy water on the windshield just to be able to break up the mud before. The washer reservoir is not nearly large enough for a good days outing in mud. Besides that will just eat up the blades.

12. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Best advice yet. Run some plant irrigation nozzles and such wherever you want, and spray away.

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I wonder if a fuel pump would live pumping water. No idea. :dunno:

A bait tank pump or similar would though.

14. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Like ntsqd said, a bait tank style cartridge pump would be perfect. I have them in my wakeboard boat. I can fill up 1200-2000 lbs. of ballast in no time. Take a look at http://www.rule-industries.com/. They are super cheap and will last forever. If you have a West Marine or Boaters' World around there you can get some good ideas. Heck, Wally World even carries some in boating section. -Eric

15. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

This is a topic I've been thinking about for some time now. My truck isn't close to finished yet, but wanted to design a system for just this purpose. I live in Atlanta now, but moved here from NY. I'm not sure if you Alabama boys know about winter wiper blades that we have in the north or not... They have a plastic/rubber cover over most of the wiper that keeps Ice and Snow from packing in behind the blade. They are also made of more weather resistant rubber. These are deff. something you want for a mud truck.

When I was a crazy teenager, I bought this cheap 12volt pump from JCwhittney that i hose clamped to my fuel tank fill hose. the output hose from the pump ran into my fuel tank, and the pumps input hose was coiled up and stashed under the the jeep.... Incase I had to "barrow" gas.. lol, yeah yeah yeah, those were different times.... The good ol days. We actually (my friends and I) bought another one of those pumps and hooked one end up to a funnel and the other to a hose and used to see how many beers we could force down our throats before that pump over came us... lol... fun times.

Anyway, one of those cheap 12volt pumps would put out plenty of fluid to hose down a windshield. You would just have to rig up some sort of spray nozzle and find a place for as big of a water tank as you could fit.

16. Bow-Tie-Boy

Bow-Tie-Boy Registered Member

My buddy has a set up with a bilge pump from a boat and an aluminum tank he tig welded and put behind his seat. It sprays down and he uses it in conjunction with his wipers, but it works great.

17. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

ANSWER:

1.Fill up wiper res. with crown.
    2.Run line into cab.
    3.Dont care anymore.:D

18. Bow-Tie-Boy

Bow-Tie-Boy Registered Member

I love it!!

19. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run a 14 Gal polyethylene sprayer tank in the bed. A 12 Volt, 60PSI diaphragm pump also in the bed. Then I use pressure washer nozzles for tips, they come in different spray patterns. For lines I use 1/4" vinyl air brake line. You can get it all from Northern Tool (the line I got at NAPA).

20. bigblubomber

bigblubomber Registered Member

Thx for all the input. Loved the ideas specially the one with the crown:bow: maybe make it a keg :D was thinkin of using a large cooler with a drain valve for the holding tank. also thought of using fish tank tube but dont know if would hold the psi. spray nozzles only thing i havent really decided on. will post some pics when i get it started