Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

CustomEFIs, Ouch

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by Mastiff, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I asked Mastiff if I could move this from the Fuel Injection forum to the Garage. If you are looking around for an EFI vendor, please read about his story in the link below. In addition, if you are considering swapping out your carb and upgrading to TBI, the link is long, but a MUST READ.

CanmoreK5

........................................................................................................

I wrote to CustomEFIs to ask what the function was of the second relay that came with the system I bought from him. Check out this reply:

Apparently he found my write-up on the install and got pissed off. I really just told it like it was. If you're curious, here's the link:

http://www.taildragger.info/K5/TBI/

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Guess you're off his Christmas card list then!

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

This needs to be posted in the Garage so everyone can see what kind of customer service and product support to expect when they deal with him. His reply is absolutely unacceptable, regardless of the circumstances.......

Let me know if you want it moved there. :deal:

4. Mastiff

Yeah, you can move it. I'm a little nervous about the guy taking out a contract on my life or something though, he seemed pretty peeved.

For completeness, I'll add that I offered to let him send me a rebuttal to put on my site, but he declined. He did come around and tell me what the relay was for.

5. Can Can

Okay, I'm gonna move this to the Garage. I'm sure there are people who have seen the CustomEFI website and have wondered what they are like to deal with. The Brotherhood deserves to know the truth in this case.

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I really have no interest in doing the conversion myself, but that was a great write up very informative. And for what it's worth I think you were very straight up. You pointed out the good with the bad. Well done. I'm glad it worked out in the end.

7. Txchevy18

Txchevy18 1/2 ton status

He should of used the review as constructive critism, and try to improve his product on the problem points. Sucks for him because I was actually considering a new harness from them but, not any more. The reply was donw right rude and not called for considering you asked a legitamite question about his product that YOu spent your hard earned cash on.

Thanks for the heads up

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I have a friend that had a 6.0 lsx series harness modified for a 69 firebird and sent it to www.lt1350.com, and they had it done and back to him within 3 weeks.

9. Mastiff

:wink1: I guess that wording is a little off... I meant, like permanently, even if you find a gas can someplace.

10. Can Can

I'm gonna leave this in the Garage for future searches, and copy it back to the Fuel Injection forum now that everybody has had a chance to read about it.

11. nau81blazer

nau81blazer 1/2 ton status

Hey,

Fantastic write up IMO. I'm in thinking very hard right now about doing the same thing you have done as far as the TBI goes. I'm not as computer savy as you seem to be though. I have 383 in my 81' K5 right now and have had about enough of carbs. Do you think that a relatively stock TBI system will be ok for this engine? I don't care about losing a few ponies, i'm really looking for reliability. Being that you have done so much research on this, do you know of a place to find out what all of the terms mean that you reference? Such as what MAP sensor is. What and how do you use WINALDL? What is an Eprom? I will try to do some of this research on my own, but any direction/information you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

On the subject of the CustomEFI's, I believe that your judgements and recommendations were completely fair and deserving for the amount of support you were given. You made your comments in a respectful manner and I think that John should have taken your suggestions to heart. Unfortunately for him, our world is small and the service he provided you will most likely lose him quite a few customers.

Anyway, thank you again for the great, detailed article and good luck!

--Adam